OS X and CM:BO and BB

I was thinking of buying one of the new iMacs shortly and have heard alarming rumours that neither CM:BO nor the forthcoming CM:BB will work on Mac OS X.1.

Are these rumours true? If so, can we expect a patch soon or is there a work-around.

Apologies if this has been previously asked and answered. A search on OS X did not come up with anything relevant.

Thank you

Hey Red.. er Dead.. er ya =).

yup you are correct CMBO does not work in OSX and word has it from the gods that CMBB will not either. somefink to do with major core rewrite. anyhow I have a G4 867 and naturally have both OSX and 9.2.2 installed I found launching CMBO in the Classic mode from OSX has some major bugs so rebooting from in OS9.2.2 then playing gives no problems. you can still play CMBO this way and I'm assuming CMBB too when it comes out! Steve? when's it coming out!!?? *sob, cry* anyhow.

Even if you get your iMac you should have no problems at all if you boot up in OS 9.2.2.

hope this kinda helps

Thanks for that, mensch.

Presumably I'd need to buy a copy of OS 9.2.2 as the iMac is unlikely to be provided with a copy of the older OS?

Unfortunately I think this might tip the whole idea of getting an iMac into the unfeasible/beyond my limited technical expertise category.

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

You will need to update your nVidia drivers to 3.0.

How are the 3.0 drivers working? Last I heard here was that some people were having problems in CM. I recently got the 2.6 drivers and they seem to work okay, so I'm wondering if there is any point for me to go to 3.0.

One other thing that has been on my mind lately. I thought X doesn't use extensions, so I was wondering how it dealt with drivers of various sorts.

Michael

One other thing that has been on my mind lately. I thought X doesn't use extensions, so I was wondering how it dealt with drivers of various sorts.
Well.. there's System/Library/Extensions, all the drivers are there. Looking at my files, there are 133 different .kext, .plugin or .bundle -files.

Including: GeForce2MX.kext, GeForce2MXGA.plugin, GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle

There seem to be drivers for pretty much every graphics card OSX supports, from Rage Pro to Geforce3.

Thanks, Jarmo. Now that I've found out you don't need to partition your hard drive to be able to switch between X and pure 9 (not Classic), I am going to put X on my hard drive and start using it when appropriate. So I am trying to find out all I can about it beforehand to make the transition easier.

Michael

You dont NEED to partition the drive, but I'd say it's better to. X installs all kinds of stuff I'm not certain of into the OS9 system it uses. The best bet would be to have two partitions:

One for X and OS9 to go with it,

One for pure and clean OS9.

But it should work just fine anyway.

Originally posted by Jarmo:

You dont NEED to partition the drive, but I'd say it's better to.

Yeah, I'd prefer to. It's just that I am having a hard time bracing up to making a disk (CD or Zip) with all my existing software so that I can restore it after the partioning. [sigh] I guess I will, but I'm dragging my heels...

X installs all kinds of stuff I'm not certain of into the OS9 system it uses.
Care to give any examples? Needless to say, this is all new to me.

Thanks for the good word, BTW.

Michael