30.82's and Geforce4 GO's don't work..

Phil,

What do you mean by "don't work" exactly. I've been running them for quite some time now with no problems at all in a Dell i8000 and a GF4Go.

Do you have any more detail you can supply? We should be able to get them working in any case.

Harv

Harv, thanks for the reply. What I mean is they don't install, hence don't work. I was ratty after my other post (see above). The 30.82 dets do not support the GeforceGo cards full stop. If you look in the .inf file supplied.

NVidia.Nv5 = "NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro"

NVidia.NvVanta = "NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT"

NVidia.NvUltra = "NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra"

NVidia.Nv5M64 = "NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro"

NVidia.Nv10 = "NVIDIA GeForce 256"

NVidia.Nv10DDR = "NVIDIA GeForce DDR"

NVidia.Nv10GL = "NVIDIA Quadro"

NVidia.Nv11 = "NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400"

NVidia.Nv11DDR = "NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200"

NVidia.Nv11GL = "NVIDIA Quadro2 MXR/EX"

NVidia.NvCrush11 = "NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU"

NVidia.Nv15 = "NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro"

NVidia.Nv15DDR = "NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti"

NVidia.Nv15BR = "NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra"

NVidia.Nv15GL = "NVIDIA Quadro2 Pro"

NVidia.Nv17.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460"

NVidia.Nv17.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440"

NVidia.Nv17.3 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420"

NVidia.Nv17GL.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 500/550 XGL"

NVidia.Nv17GL.2 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 200/400 NVS"

NVidia.Nv20 = "NVIDIA GeForce3"

NVidia.Nv20.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200"

NVidia.Nv20.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500"

NVidia.Nv20DCC = "NVIDIA Quadro DCC"

NVidia.Nv25.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600"

NVidia.Nv25.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400"

NVidia.Nv25.4 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200"

NVidia.Nv25GL.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL"

NVidia.Nv25GL.2 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL"

NVidia.Nv25GL.4 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 700 XGL"

nvWin2kDualview = "NVIDIA Dualview"

You will see there is no Geforce4 GO, so I very much doubt you are using 30.82's correctly in your machine. I've installed them on mine, and it works a treat, but when you check the driver revision you get 27.27.

Hmmm, I don't recall ever seeing 27.27 or anything strange in playing with drivers before...are you sure all older drivers and registry entries were removed before installation?

Also, with the Dells (not sure about Toshiba) the nvidia installer won't work. I have always unzipped the drivers to a temp directory and used the "Have Disk" method to install them, and my GF4 Go MX440 always showed up in the list.

Also, the Nvidia drivers are unified now, so there is no "correct" way to use them, and should work on any nvidia card. I always have to modify them a bit for use with 1400x1050 resolution, but other than that they have always installed and worked fine in both a 4Go and a 2Go.

Harv

[ March 03, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Harv ]

With my Tosh6100 (XP Pro, SP1) I am using the drivers supplied by Toshiba. These are the only ones that appear to install correctly. There is only one driver set, and they end in 27.27. In CMBB, if I want to use cmmos I used to switch out of the game by using the alt-tab, which would take me back to the desktop. If I do this now, it takes me back to the desktop no problem, but when I make the cmmos changes and go back into the game the screen is black, and I have to ALT-F4 back to the desktop. Just one little quirk I'm guessing.

Another problem is the slowness of the game. I'm using this with a 2ghz P4M, with 256mb memory so it really shouldn't be too much of an issue. I keep AA down to a minimum too. The version of the game is 1.02, UK CDV version. and I have installed everything correctly.

Appreciate your time on this matter.

Phil,

Have you ever installed Critical Update Q328310 from the Windows Update page? This will screw up CM's (along with a couple of other games) ability to minimize/restore. If you have, it can be removed using the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Regarding the slowness...is it frame rate you're referring to? Fraps ( Found here ) is a useful tool that will let you see what your fps are.

If you are using Toshiba driver ver 27.27, and after installing the 30.82's it still shows that you are using the 27's then the install has failed. This always happened on my Dell, which is why I unzip and use the manual Have Disk method. This may be contributing to the slowdown you are experiencing, as there might be a conflict from parts of different driver versions trying to be used.

Did you notice the slowness from the time you installed CM? Or did it happen when you were trying the different drivers? There is a driver cleaner available for XP now. I haven't used it yet, but it might be worth a try. It can be found here .

Harv

[ March 05, 2003, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Harv ]

Harv, top bloke. I didn't know about that crtical fix problem and have uninstalled straight away. Good old Microsoft.

As for the drivers, I have installed the 30.82's as you say, via the have disk function and it still won't work. I've spoken with another owner of a Tosh and he says you have to use the Toshiba drivers for some reason. The unified Dets won't work!

As it happens, I've got so fed up with my 9700 Pro and lack of support that I've just bought myself a GF4 Ti4800 smile.gif to rectify the 'fog' issue. I'm going to use the 41.09's with this. Wish me luck!

Holly bat crap, I can't believe all the stuff people are going through just to get this game to run on a notebook computer.

Sounds more like a group trying to get JD Edwards / Oracle to work on a Macintosh user base.

No game is worth this much heart ache. Just continue to play CMBO and be done with it, or only play CMBB on your desktop.

Sigh!

Phil,

I'm still working on your Toshiba problem. I think I can get access to one with a 4Go in it this weekend, and if I can I'll see what I can up with different driver versions. Hopefully we'll be able to get you going on yours shortly.

Harv