cmbb 1.02- direct3d could not be initialized

dell 600mhz

tnt2 32mb vid card (factory install driver. latest version driver screwde up my screen)

128 ram

worked perfectly with all previous versions of cm.

got a 9.51mb 1.02 patch off one of battlefront.com's mirrors.

extracted the exe to my cmbb folder, and installed.

double clicked new desktop icon.

got to a black screen asking me to accept ~324x?? resolution or to skip to next.

i hit skip to next and then it crashed with the white error window:

could not initialize direct3d.

tried to goto the barbarossa to berlin.exe directly.

this time the black screen asked if 640x??? was ok. i choose accept.

the first second of the opening theme played then it crashed.

help please :(

What resolution are you running your desktop at ? Obviously anything less than 800x600 isn't going to work with CMBB, even if it is offered as a selection. After 640x480 is offered you will get the 'DirectX error' everytime... there are no more resolutions to offer and CM assumes that there is some sort of display problem (the code - possibly a DirectX limitation - doesn't allow for a constant cycling of resolutions and refresh rates - it's a 'single pass').

You may want to make sure that your monitor definition is either the exact model or 'Plug and Play'. The 'Default Monitor' definition sometimes isn't adequate for CM's purposes.

What Windows version and what DirectX version are you running ? What version is the Dell-provided Detonator driver ?