Squad Leader Maps?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

What are the dimensions?

The dimensions are 1280m by 1200m.

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

Incidentally, are you planning to make it a map or a scenario?

I'm not sure yet. I would like to do a scenario on it since I've spent so much time making it. However, I would also like to allow players to use it just as a map for their own scenarios (no acknowledgements required). If it isn't too big a download I may include two versions: just the map in one file, and a full scenario in the other.

By the way, the map looks quite a bit different since those last screenshots. The roads are now all "dirt road" instead of paved, the grain fields are now surrounded by slightly raised berms, and the mosque has become a group of apartment blocks set within a grassy area. As you can tell, I can't seem to stop tinkering with it!

Hopefully the definitive version will be finished soon, at which point I will post it on CMMODS.

[ January 09, 2008, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

CplSteiner:

By the way, the map looks quite a bit different since those last screenshots. The roads are now all "dirt road" instead of paved, the grain fields are now surrounded by slightly raised berms, and the mosque has become a group of apartment blocks set within a grassy area. As you can tell, I can't seem to stop tinkering with it!

LoL! I can empathise with that statement. I have the same affliction. Sometimes, I just like to open them up in the editor and browse around at ground level looking at them from different angles. And then I get an idea how to improve them further. I have one under development that has definitely had a minimum of 50 hours spent on it already. redface.gif Maps are like your children, you bring them into the world, shape them and become proud of them but at some point, you have to let them go :D .

The problem with creating a masterpiece is that you need a killer scenario to go with it. 'Hill 621' IS that killer scenario. Last weekend, I found a scenario in my CMBB scenario file called ASL Hill 621 from years ago. I'd forgotten about that beauty. A Shock Force conversion of that situation would be a tough proposition. I remember that all the action takes part on boards 4 and 2, while board 3 is just there to give the Red side some set-up options.

Good luck with this project.