New Scenario->Iraqi Attack on Insurgent Hideout

http://www.mediafire.com/?5tr1d8wzb3t

UPDATE! V 2.0

http://www.mediafire.com/?6gjzgm9w53c

Reduced Artillery Support and Increased Defence for more challenge

Still no Multiplayer Support

I've been working on this for a week or so now!

I hope you guys can at least find a little fun in it.

Edit: For those of you (like me) that have machines that are a bit dated, this mission is purpose-built for you. There are not an insane amount of units and the map is not very large. To get around the "everyone starts firing as soon as the battle starts" issue, Blue starts out in a low area where they cannot see the enemy nor can they be fired upon except by a lone Recoiless Rifle.

I used the Syrian Army in the game as a sit-in for the newly formed Iraqi Army/Security Force. This mission pits a mechanized infantry force against fighters that are defending from fortified positions. There are a few layers of defense, it is not hard to win, but it is rather difficult to succeed without losing alot of troops and vehicles. For a challenge try to assault without softening them up with artillery and air support first.

I know this may not be "technically" accurate, but I tried to make the Order of Battle as logical as possible and to balance the units for gameplay/fun's sake.

There is no AI for the blue side, although it should be simple to program. I will try to get to that soon....

cmshockforce20070909111hg1.th.png

cmshockforce20070909110un2.th.png

cmshockforce20070909205yi2.png

By SoColdInWinter

Thanks Mordante69 for the info on how to post pictures. Knowledge is fundamentally valuble!!

Any Feedback is appreciated. Especially constructive criticism. ENJOY!!!

[ September 10, 2007, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: SoColdInWinter ]

Upload your image to image shack;

http://www.imageshack.us/

Open the browse button and find where your image is located. Easiest to have the pic on your desktop because I think thats where image shack looks first. Once you've selected your image click the Host It button. After it uploads copy and paste the code in the Hot Link For Forums box to your post. That should do it.

Thanks for the scenario!

Mord.

SPOILER ACHTUNG!!!!!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!

AARIraqiAttack.jpg

As you see I managed to win a Total Victory with only 5 soldiers WIA playing Real Time, Veteran. I consider myself an average player.

My opening move was to send the FO to a good position, from there he smashed all the crests and enemy positions in sight, and that's all.

Five minutes before the end I sent two tanks to the stronghold, and levelled the remaining buildings cutting down till the last enemy soldier. Only a couple of RPG where shot to my armour. The enemy surrendered.

Didn't need the helicopters, and didn't use the reinforcements at all. Well actually I hardly used the infantry but for scouting from positions pretty close to the set-up area.

IMHO you have several options:

I would suggest a reduction of the arty assets available. Who can resist the temptation?. ;)

Add some enemies on reverse slope defences, specially behind the major elevations.

Add some forces to cover the defender's left flank. I found a huge open gate over there and my tanks used it to get to the objectives virtually unopposed.

Hope you find my opinion constructive.

Good map though. I enjoyed the mission.

Thanks for your work SoColdInWinter and keep on making scenarios for this great community.

EDIT: As suggested I'll it give another try not using the arty at all next time. And we'll see the difference.

[ September 09, 2007, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Ala11_Kal ]

Thanks Ala11_Kal for your After Action Report.

I had a feeling that I was giving the player too much artillery support, you have shown me to be correct, you made it through with only 5 wounded!! I am ashamed to say when I was play testing the final version I hardly used the support assets because I enjoy watching my attacking force get the hell shot out of it.

Sorry about the Defense left flank, I designed the terrain for that gate to be a possible approach but when I was placing units I neglected to even protect it at all.....stupid oversight....Well, when I revise the map I will make sure to leave you a surprise back there.....:)

Thank you once again for your insightful comments, they are appreciated and encouraging

You're welcome my friend.

I will be more than happy to test an eventual new version.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

As I said before, I simply bombed the hell out of those hills and buildings. I am certain that without artillery those positions will be a tough nut to crack for the infantry. Heavy loses are to be expected.

I'll try to find time to give it another go sometime next week.

Real life starts tomorrow for me, no more holidays. :(

Good map, please keep'em coming.