Windows Protection Error -Win ME

I haven't heard of any Shutdown problems with Windows ME. I would suggest performing a Ctrl-Alt-Del and see if any apps mention "(not responding)". If so then attempt to Close that app. Is CM still listed in this listing after you've closed it ?

Are you using drivers that came with Windows ME or do you have some manufacturer's drivers also loaded up that didn't originally come with Win ME ? There's a possibility that some drivers geared towards Win 9x may not work in all aspects with Win ME.

I am having the same problem. If anyone comes up with a fix let me know. I recently received a new computer with Windows ME and this started to happen after I installed CM. I still play, just a pain when I shut down.

I get the error only when I shut down windows. I checked today, and I do not get the error if I don't start CM. I do not get any errors when shutting down, or starting CM.

One thing that may have impacted this, I downloaded the latest video drivers from the Windows ME Update site. What do you think, could this be part of the problem? I have a 64MB GeForce2 card.

Thanks, Schrullenhaft for your help.

My situation sounds just like Actor's. I only get the message when I shut down the computer after playing CM. I also installed the latest Detonator 3 drivers from Nvidia. Also have 64Mb GeForce GTS. The error is: "Windows protection error. System Halted. Restart your computer." Last night I went in and deleted my CM config file and restarted CM. I did not get the WPE when I shut down, but I want to try it again tonight.

Jeff

I'm not sure about getting the latest drivers from Microsoft for a piece of hardware. I'd assume that they're the latest WHQL drivers (which, unfortunately, still isn't a guarantee that you won't have compatibility problems with them).

I'd suggest changing your resolution (as an experiment) and deleting your CM prefs file as jclassey has done to see if this affects anything. I wonder if there are some DirectX settings that should be changed, or possibly some of the new features of the latest NVidia driver need to be disabled.

I deleted the prefs file and then played the game and shut down....blue screen of death on exit.

I am not sure why the problem exists, but this weekend I am going to play around with the system a bit and see what I can figure out.

Have either of you run another application after closing CM, but before Shutting down the computer ? I suggest this just to see if the error still comes up. I would suggest a larger app like a word processor, etc. or maybe even another game.

What brand of GeForces have you both bought ? It is interesting that you both have GeForce2 GTS 64Mb models. Most of the manufacturers out there are probably using the NVidia Reference layout for their boards, so physically there may be little difference between them (other than the BIOS).

Typically I have several APPS open while I play. I have run other programs in some cases after having run CM and gotten the blue screen of death (bsd) but last night I ran nothing other than CM for my test.

I have disabled all the TSRs and the only startup program that is running is my anti-virus.

The interesting thing, is that I did not originally have this problem. I have tried to go back in time and figure out what has changed, but no luck. I am going to try and reinstall the 1.05 patch tonight and what happens. I may reinstall the whole game to see if it helps.

I may have stumbled onto something. The Microsoft site says that the blue screen of death can appear on shutdown when using an antivirus program that scans the A: drive on shut down.

I did update my McAfee virus program recently, about the time this started, and this may be the issue.

Here a link to the article: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q231/6/66.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=SO&FR=0

I'll try it tonight.

[This message has been edited by ACTOR (edited 10-19-2000).]

That was it! I configured the Anti-Virus to not check the A: Drive on shut down and no more blue screen of death.

I opened all the usual apps and moved from one to another using alt-tab as usual. Check e-mail, opened Word, etc.

No more problem.

[This message has been edited by ACTOR (edited 10-19-2000).]

Good deal Actor! I'll look into that tonight. You were right, my blue screen came back. I have tried running Word before shutdown- no help. I did notice that my problem seemed to be related to how long I had been playing CM. IE, I played for about 10 minutes, quit, shutdown, no problem. But, when I really played (2 hours) then shutdown, Blue Screen!

Well I had CM up and running for an hour or so after I changed the anti-virus config and I had no problems when I shut down.

I also turned it back on and then ran things again, blue screen came back.

So I think, I got it fixed.

I also have problems with CM shutting down completely (freeze then ESC closes), or doing a complete system gridlock. This has happened numerous times. I don't get the blue screen of death when doing this. There are complicating factors. I'm running the latested Detonator 3 driver 631 on a TNT2 ultra on WinME with DirectX 8 beta. I'd uninstall the DX8 beta driver, but unfortunately it seems MS has made this virtually impossible to do. Trying to reinstall DX7a just gets a "you already have the latest version" kind of message unfortunately.

Is ther hope for mankind?

Is there any hope or fix.

Actor - Good troubleshooting there. Maybe McAfee will address this with a patch (and Symantec may have to do the same for Norton).

Fletchman - What mouse driver are you using. This can cause some problems. Unfortunately if you want to uninstall DirectX 8.0 you may be looking at reinstalling WindowsME. You'll have to overwrite any DirectX files during the installation (which it should ask you to perform).

Now that you mention it the lockups probably occured while I was doing mouse manipulation.

I did have a "ps/2 compatible mouse" driver dated 4/99. I updated it to the mouse driver on SE dated 6/8/2000. I'll let you know if that solved the problem.

(p.s. fast tech support and a great game too. )

OK Matt, I need help. Blue screen of death returned last night after playing CM, checking e-mail (Outlook Express 5) and chating (I.E. 5.5).

Any thoughts on what may be causing it?

Ok it is not just me. The Windows ME General Newsgroup has several reports of this same issue, not related to CM. It appears that Microsoft knows there is an issue and they are working to resolve the problem. Apparently ME has a problem closing all programs in preparation for a shutdown.

This website also offers some advice and tips that may be useful. I haven't tried them yet, but I will post any results I get later today.

http://www.freespeech.org/Khephra/a/shutdown.htm

Fletchman - do you have any other programs running in the background while you play CM ? Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and check out the list of running programs. You'll want "Explorer" and "Systray", but everything else is debatable (other than CM).

CM should work properly with WindowsME, but there are always possibilities of problems. I'm not sure if there are any problems between WindowsME, DirectX 8 Beta, the latest Detonator drivers and CM. I know Madmatt runs the DirectX 8 Beta and the latest Detonators, but I believe he's on Win98 SE. I haven't checked to see if there have been any service pack releases for ME yet, but you may want to check with the "Windows Update" and see what is available (probably mostly IE fixes or something of that nature).

Are you overclocking your video card at all ? If you are then it is possible that you're on the edge of the performance when it comes to CM and you may want to clock it down (though I doubt that this is the case).

Although this probably won't fix your problem there is a slightly newer Detonator driver available (Win9x v.6.35):

Reactorcritical (though I don't think the driver page is loading correctly, the Detonator should be available from a link on the front page in green text):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 10-24-2000).]