Do you like scenarios where you are under fire from the start ?

Just curious, because I really hate it, when that happens and your whole setup zone ( mostly because of map size) is in enemy LOS from the get go .... I just miss the scouting part and the thrill of having multiple approaches .

Please Scenario designers could you give us a little more room for maneuvering and covered setup zones ?

Sorry for the whining ....

Originally posted by wolf66:

Just curious, because I really hate it, when that happens and your whole setup zone ( mostly because of map size) is in enemy LOS from the get go .... I just miss the scouting part and the thrill of having multiple approaches .

Please Scenario designers could you give us a little more room for maneuvering and covered setup zones ?

Sorry for the whining ....

Not for me.

I think the most important point for the designer is to make sure that the starting situation is explained to the extent necessary. If the player is going to start with his force in contact, he needs to know that UNLESS there is a good reason in the design of the scenario for him not to.

You certainly don't want the player to read a briefing and, not expecting contact at the outset, set up his plan in an appropriate way, only to see half a battalion of T72s practicing their first-shot accuracy drills on his force. However, there are certain situations that call for the player to start in contact - ambush (where the player is either the ambusher or the ambushee), relief of a cut-off unit, and so on. Of course, if the player is properly briefed, none of this will come as a surprise.

In general I find the included CMSF maps rather tight on space. For move-to-contact battles bigger is better IMHO. But a properly designed scenario on a small map can be equally interesting, presuming it does not present the player with the opportunity to watch half his supposedly not-in-contact force go into low earth orbit in the first twelve seconds.