Low FPS in game.(Rig included)

When i play the game in the Campaign, already at the 3rd mission or so its really low FPS.

I VERY often have to pause just to mark a target cause the mousepointer is way to choppy.

Mabye its just my box getting old?

3.0ghz HT Intel

1gb ddr2

Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb

Im i in need of a fresh install of XP or a whole new computer? tongue.gif

Yes, but its not only the mouse. Everything is slow.

I found out if i go like 100m up in the air and just look down towards my units, its much less choppy ;)

But. I did the corrections mentioned in the helpthread with some tips. But not much was improved.

Anywho.. ill probably just buy a better machine pretty soon. smile.gif

That would be the best course of action, honestly putting money into such an old system isn't worth while, given that even today's low cost Pentium Dual Core (not P4s, rather C2Ds stripped down to 1MB L2 cache) are faster than your current system.

Is there a new minimum/recommended requirements? The current page for CMSF requirements shows his 'old' system as above the recommended level:

http://www.battlefront-store.com:8080//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=30&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Operating System: Windows XP (Vista is supported)

Processor: Pentium IV 2.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor or better

Video Card: GeForce 6800 or Radeon x850

(256 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card

System Memory: 1 Gigabyte or more RAM

It would be nice to let buyers know what is needed to run the game properly now that ELOS is implemented.

Well, it would still run on a such a system, but that doesn't mean it would play well. Personally I wouldn't want to play CMSF on anything less than a x2 4200+ (AMD) or a 3.8Ghz P4. As for a video card, from ATI, the x1600 would be the lowest I'd want to play with (it was even sluggish on that card) and a 7600GT from Nvidia. I also would want at least a gig of RAM.

I guess that is my point. The page listing requirements shows a minimum spec:

Processor: Pentium IV 1.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor

Video Card: GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9200

(32 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card

System Memory: 256 Megabytes RAM

Can you even play it on that? If the recommended spec is below the one this gentleman is playing with and having problems I wonder what the 'minimum' official one is like?

Edit to add: this might explain some of my problems as well. I checked the specs and my machine qualified for 'suggested system', but it is a two and a half year old laptop and everything is sluggish. If I had known what the real minimum specs were it might have changed my mind on purchasing back in July. It was tough to have fun when the game was sluggish and jerky.

[ April 04, 2008, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Lurker765 ]

Ummm the ones you listed are the listed Minimum specs... it says that. I'm say it would run, but it would suck.

I ran the original CM on a near minimum spec machine for years, yeah it was painful, but I liked the game. Some people can tolerate/live with low FPS than others.

I'm confused?

If the page that lists the 'suggested' system has a setup that is too ugly to run the game (as per the OP and your reply) then that should really be the 'minimum' spec (or perhaps a better PC?) while the 'recommended' one should be a much better system.

Are we saying the same thing?

What's ironic is that originally the game ran much, much, much worse on my machine than it does now with the ELOS addition. Whatever speed loss that change put in was more than compensated by the improvements in code efficiency compared to the v1.01 release.

It's still annoying that my machine is probably way below the true required specs since it impacts my enjoyment of the game. I would like it if new buyers were aware of what they needed to properly run the game so they don't have the same frustrations I did.

Originally posted by Lurker765:

It's still annoying that my machine is probably way below the true required specs since it impacts my enjoyment of the game. I would like it if new buyers were aware of what they needed to properly run the game so they don't have the same frustrations I did.

Agreed, I'm rather surprised they listed such low specs for a game that taxes even higher end systems. I wouldn't recommend playing CMSF with anything less than what I suggested in my post above, unless you don't mind running the game at the lowest possible settings, which is ugly.