PBEM File size - why?

Anyone know why the file size is so big?

Im no techno head but I would like to understand why the file size appears to be so huge in comparison to whats on the screen.

My latest PBEM has 2 Platoons of Inf with 4 vehicles per side. My first move turn (without any acion etc)is over 5Mb.

Incedentally, what has been the bigest size anyone has had?

Im hoping 22 Mb was a huge battle.
I honestly don't see what the big deal is - I'm on an average consumer level internet connection, and I'm able to upload those 20-30Mbs in a matter of a few minutes ... which is really not very different from how long it took CMx1 to upload it's turn files - which is more than acceptable for TCP/IP, let alone PBEM.

As for...

...its a sure sign that this game wasnt ever intended to PBEM. No game designer would design email files larger than the majority of ISPs allow.
...from what I remember we basically had a riot when Steve announced that PBEM might get cut because the turn files were too big. But since they still went ahead and spent the precious development time on PBEM I honestly don't think PBEM folks have a right to complain - especially since the "large file size" was also the main reason for TCP/IP WeGo getting cut.

Not to mention that I'm quite certain that it's not a case of Battlefront not "trying hard enough" to make the files smaller, but rather people grossly underestimating just how much raw data is being processed under-the-hood in CMx2. If anything, we should be praising Charles that PBEM files aren't well into hundreds of megs.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm venting here... but it's not like im bitter about the lack of TCP/IP WeGo :mad:

tongue.gif

[ February 26, 2008, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: The Louch ]

I'm not complaining either, I'm just very curious. To say that downloading a 30 Mb file is a matter of minutes is fine. However, most email servers allow a maximum of 20 Mb.

So a 22 Mb game turn wont be sent, or received by your average CM player. What I would like to know is that was this realised or was it accidental?

PBEM for your average player means being able to play a turn and email it to your opponent, an obvious statement, but one that isnt followed by any other statement saying that mail files may be bigger than your ISP allows and you may have to find an alternative method of exchanging files.

Your answer is basically, think yourself lucky that you dont have a 200Mb file and trust implicitly in BF, sorry if mine isnt.