No dialogue box?

Hi, recently I have been unable to pbem or save home made scenarios because my system does not display the load pbem game dialogue box or the scenario save dialogue... weird because it used to work perfectly. I can still play TCP/IP as that dialogue works fine and pre made scenarios work as well.

I am running win2k and have recently updated to service pack 2 and latest directx 8.1a???. I suspect these changes are to blame as they are the only things that have changed on my system since cm pbem 1.12 last worked properly.

Other than a complete re install, I can't think how to fix the prob... any tips or ideas before I begin this tedious and time consuming task??

Any possibility that you are running the program off the CD? Try making a shortcut from the executeable file on your HD and putting it on your desktop. Now see if you can do what you haven't been able to do. This might solve the problem. Goodluck

The two most likely culprits are registry changes or some sort of problem with the particular .DLL file. Windows2000 unfortunately doesn't have an "auto-repair" feature for incorrect .DLLs. You can go to Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > launch System Information > Tools menu > Windows item (only one) > File Signature Verification Utility. This will check all of your Windows system files and report back those that don't have a "valid" signature on them. Once you have this list you can then compare it to the files in your C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory and see what does or doesn't match. You can also compare them to those in the C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\ directory also, which can be displayed by selecting "show all files" (though these are the older files).

What may be the most likely issue is the registry, since the dialog box that isn't coming up is a Windows standard dialog. I have no idea how to fix this (unless there's some 3rd party registry checker) and I don't think that CMBO makes very many changes to the registry (certainly not for calling dialog boxes/.DLLs).

As a last resort you may want to reapply Service Pack 2 and possibly DirectX 8.1a (I think its 8.0a), but I doubt that it will make a difference.