Radeon X850 XT not being detected?

MiB your best bet may be to completely uninstall your current video drivers. I'm not sure what sort of routines are used in OpenGL to determine the video memory, etc.

Assuming you're running Windows XP you should grab the Catalyst 7.9 drivers. I believe they've helped some ATI users on this forum, but they're not an absolute panacea for all the issues that face the Radeons.

Is your videocard utilizing an AGP slot or a PCI Express slot ? If it is AGP, you may want to make sure that your 'AGP Aperture', 'AGP Graphics' or whatever your BIOS decides to call it is set to 128Mb or 256Mb (in the CMOS/BIOS setup). If yours is set to something lower, it's possible that either the OpenGL routines could somehow (strangely) be keying off of this (I don't really know). This techPowerUp article explains a little about the AGP Aperture.

Though it may make little difference...

Did you uninstall the drivers completely, reboot and then install the latest 7.9 Catalysts ? It's possible that some registry setting or something else is still present when you upgrade the drivers and it is this that is somehow causing problems in reporting the correct amount of memory.

Another utility to download and check out is Realtech-vr's OpenGL Viewer. Install this utility and then go to the 'Extensions' tab and in the 'Renderer' section there should be a listing for 'Memory'. See if this reports your actual amount of memory correctly or not.

[ September 18, 2007, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]