New ATI hotfix for peformance issues!

Hi all,

We've given this only a very quick test and it seems to help out framerates quite a bit. It is a hotfix for the current 7.9 Catalyst drivers:

ATI Hotfix link

For you ATI guys out there, give it a shot and see if it improves things for you, especially Allah's Fist (we saw big improvements there).

Also, for those of you who have been stung by the ATI left-click bug, try turning off the special ATI left-click feature in Options and see if the mouse behavior works correctly. ATI did not say specifically that they fixed it so it probably isn't. However, this is an OpenGL hotfix and therefore they might have slipped in something without mentioning it.

Please post results here.

Steve

I tried this driver (7.9) and the quake hotfix... I have the ATI x1950 AGP card...

The framerate seems somewhat faster, but still highly dependent on which vehicle you are looking at, or if there is smoke, etc.

Also, I'm getting crashes now.... but then again, I got crashes with the old 7.7 drivers

Statisoris, that is the one!

The framerate will always be dependent on how many polygons CM is trying to draw, so vehicles, terrain, etc. will be a factor no matter what. However, when things are working right you should generally get 20+ FPS even when the screen is reasonablly stuffed with things. CM also will drop details in order to keep framerate up, depending on user settings.

Crashes... hmmm... multi-processor system CommC? If so there are fixes for that. However, hold off until v1.04 is out since I think that will do a cleaner job than the various patches that are available.

Steve

Updating to the new ATI Catalyst 7.9 drivers and using the above mentioned hotfix have improved framerates for me as well. I have had some funky game behaviour since applying the updates though. I have been getting this wierd bug where CM:SF gets all pixelated and starts to blink really fast, and it gets worse if you dont shut the game down and restart. It happens after playing for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

All good, except installing this and any other ATI "hotfix" screws up my drivers royally. Tried using every uninstall tool I could find then reinstalling the 7.9 full version. Still screwed. (And I mean I used everything from the ATI tool to JV Power Tools at it's most aggressive-- could not clean out the problem).

Finally used Norton Ghost and restored to an earlier backup.

Anybody else have this problem? In addition the above, I got error messages while installing the Hotfix (no, not the Microsoft warnings that the driver was uncertified--- those I ignored).

I have a newer system with an X1900 card.