Cannot play CMSF

Having bought the paradox version from a retail store and patched up to 1.02 I still cannot play the game.

I keep getting a message telling me to insert the original disc and not a back up disc.

I contacted paradox and await further instruction.

Has anyone here suffered the same problem while trying to run from the original disc? If so did you manage to get it to work?

Thanks in advance.

Did you attempt to play CMSF before patching it or attempt to play it with just the 1.01 patch ? If you did, did you get the same results that you're currently getting ?

When did you download the 1.02 patch ? Apparently the Paradox 1.02 patch was NOT ready to be distributed when it was accidentally put up for downloading.

[ August 14, 2007, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I tried all versions.....1.0 1.01a and 1.02 and still the same result.

I took the disc back to the software store and was given a new disc to try. Same results.

It still thinks I am trying to use a back up disc.

Paradox suggested the take back, which I did. I will try the new and improved 1.02 patch tomorrow.

I got that "insert the original disc"-message too, took the disc back to store, had to mail order new disc because it was sold out, and same message keeps appearing. Eventually I get the game running but after each battle game either freezes totally or crashes to Windows.

"Funny" part is that that crashing started after I was played 6-7 missions of campaign. Now the campaign is totally unplayable, which kinda sucks big time.

Installed the 1.02 Paradox patch today, no help. Starting to regret the money I spend.

Giving up a bit easily there.... If it's not working for a few but working for the majority, then it's more than likely the few have a problem specific to their machines...

At a guess, I'd say this is something to do with whatever sceurity system Paradox have used.

I'd suggest you boot windows with no additional drivers or tools loaded (this is not the same as closing them once windows has already booted) and see if that makes any difference.

Which reminds me XP or Vista?

TM

[ August 15, 2007, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: ToadMan ]

You guys with thge Paradox version really need to contact Paradox support on this issue. Its related to their SecuROM protection system and they should be able to get you all sorted out.

Here is a link to their support site and I will also inform our Paradox contact of this thread so they are aware of the issue.

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78&Itemid=181

Madmatt

Hello All!

I have been on contact with SONY DADC regarding that issue. They are aware of that problem and say that it occurs in some cases where the drivers of a CD or DVD drive do not stick to the specifications for CDROM/DVDROM. They do have the possibility of helping you out, and I would ask you to contact them directly at support@securom.com .

They may need some extra information from you through an analysis tool of theirs. I am not sure if this is necessary for everybody, but I will post instructions on how to do that in my next post. Including that info striaght away may cut some time.

All the best!

Florian

Paradox Interactive

As promised, here the instructions:

1) Make sure the original 'play' disc is in a physical, local CD or DVD drive.

2) Re-start your computer (the reboot is to assure that there are no additional instances of the software running when generating the file).

3) With your mouse, right-click on the application's desktop shortcut, or the actual application's executable file in the installation folder, and a menu will appear.

4) Choose 'Launch Analysis' from the menu.

5) A disclaimer window may appear on your screen. To proceed click 'Yes'. Another window may appear stating that an analysis log will be generated, if so click 'OK'. If any error messages appear, click 'Cancel' to continue.

6) After a period of time, the program will generate a file named 'AnalysisLog.sr0' and place it at the root of your hard drive (usually C:). When the file has been generated, a dialog may appear stating it has finished. Click 'OK' to complete the process.To locate it go to 'My Computer' and open your hard drive (usually C:).

Note: Vista users see further instructions below.

7) Please compress the file using a program such as WinZip, WinRAR, or WinAce (to avoid email corruption), and attach it to your email to support@securom.com.

Vista Users:

Follow the steps outlined above through step 6. Using Vista the filed will be stored in the following path: 'C:\Users\’YOUR USER’\AppData\Local\Temp\AnalysisLog.sr0'. If by chance this folder is hidden, you may have to display hidden folders. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Go to 'Start' and left-click on 'Control Panel'.

2. Left-click on 'Appearance and Personalization'. Then select 'Folder Options'.

3. Now select the 'View' tab, then select 'Show hidden files and folders'. You should now have access to the folder.

If you do not see the 'Launch Analysis' option available in the menu after you re-start your computer, you can generate it using the command line. Please follow these steps:

1) Make sure the original 'play' disc is in a physical, local CD or DVD drive.

2) Re-start your computer (the reboot is to assure that there are no additional instances of the software running when generating the file).

3) With your mouse, right-click on the application's desktop shortcut and a menu will appear.

4) Choose 'Properties', then highlight and copy everything in the 'Target' window.

5) Click 'Start' from your toolbar, then click 'Run'. Next type 'cmd' in the text box and press 'Enter'. A 'DOS' window will appear.

6) Type 'cd\' (without quotes) and press 'Enter' to get to the root of your hard drive (you may have to type 'cd ..' several times to get to C:\).

7) With your mouse, right-click in the 'DOS' window and choose 'Paste'.

8) Press the Spacebar on your keyboard once and add the text '/secuexp'. Then press 'Enter'.

9) A disclaimer window may appear on your screen. To proceed click 'Yes'. Another window may appear stating that an analysis log will be generated, if so click 'OK'. If any error messages appear, click 'Cancel' to continue.

10) After a period of time, the program will generate a file named 'AnalysisLog.sr0' and place it at the root of your hard drive (usually C:). When the file has been generated, a dialog may appear stating it has finished. Click 'OK' to complete the process.To locate it go to 'My Computer' and open your hard drive (usually C:).

Note: Vista users see notes above.

11) Please compress the file using a program such as WinZip, WinRAR, or WinAce (to avoid email corruption), and attach it to your email to support@securom.com.

SecurROM eh....

Well the Sony stuff is probably right, but it could be something else - maybe there is something installed on the machine that SecurROM doesn't like. Things like CD/DVD drive emulators or even DVD burning/copying software can cause problems.

As I see it there are 2 possible solutions :

1) Easiest. Return Paradox version, buy DL version direct from Battlefront (I assume the BFC Disc version would be OK too, but not certain).

2) Boot your machine and make sure there are no DVD utils loaded/running - try again. If no joy, then a bit of digging in the internet underworld will throw up some tools that can spoof the SecurRom protection. I should point out that these utils generally won't let you copy DVDs or run without the disc in the drive, but they might let SecurROM identify the disc successfully by masking any software that is potentially conflicting with it.

If you're going to wait for Sony to do something, you may as well return the game to the store, since by the time that happens, it'll be cheaper to buy!

TM.