Later versions not using updated bmp's

I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem & knows how to fix it. I have a P III 500 with a Voodoo 3/2000 Video card & have 3 different versions of the game able to be played from the Combat Mission directory. (ie. ver. 1.01, 1.03 & 1.05).

The frustrating thing is that ONLY under ver. 1.01 will it load the updated bmp files I've downloaded from Madmatts site & placed in the standard BMP subdirectory of Combat Mission directory. Whenever I play v 1.03 or v. 1.05 it must use the default bmp's on the CD as my CD driver goes beserk when playing these 2 versions yet is fairly quiet when playing v. 1.01. So clearly the updated bmp's are in place in the BMP sub-directory (as it all works under v. 1.01) yet for some reason the later versions don't pick up on these bmp's in that sub-directory. And, BTW- there is no alternate BMP sub-directory with the old bmp's in it so I'm at a loss to understand how the defaults are getting loaded unless they're direct from the CD.

Oh, & just one more thing, it seems the same thing is happenning with the sound files as well since all I get is the default sounds under 1.03 & 1.05 yet playing 1.01 allows me to enjoy the sound mods I've downloaded into the WAV sub-directory. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jim R.

You might be onto something here - not too long ago I had to keep re-loading a battle due to the Voodoo3 white-out problem and I noticed that the grass textures would not be the same every time! (sometimes it was nice high-res mod, others the standard one that came with the game) I couldn't figure out how in hell this could happen but it must be reading from the CD occasionally as you've noticed.

For some reason your 1.03 & 1.05 versions are pulling all their graphics and sound off of the CD. Where do you have all these versions on your hard drive ? Are you replacing the executable in the CMBO directory or are you using some sort of shortcut. If you're using a shortcut, then that's probably your problem. I would suggest some sort of scheme to replace the file in the CMBO directory. Otherwise it may not understand the directory structure and instead refer to the CDROM for the rest of the files (can you see any scenarios other than the default ones that come with CD ?).

I can't speak for Jim, but I've only ever had the latest version of CM installed, with no additional directories/folders on my hard-drive. And there were definitely two distinct grass textures appearing after exiting and restarting CM many times due to the Voodoo bug. Haven't noticed it with sound though.

I'll keep a look out for it happening again and try to note anything odd that might have caused it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

For some reason your 1.03 & 1.05 versions are pulling all their graphics and sound off of the CD. Where do you have all these versions on your hard drive ? Are you replacing the executable in the CMBO directory or are you using some sort of shortcut. If you're using a shortcut, then that's probably your problem. I would suggest some sort of scheme to replace the file in the CMBO directory. Otherwise it may not understand the directory structure and instead refer to the CDROM for the rest of the files (can you see any scenarios other than the default ones that come with CD ?).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, thanks Herr Schrullenhaft, you were right on the money. I had stupidly forgotten to replace the old CM executable & was therefore only running shortcuts. Thanks very much for pointing out my mistake.

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Inspector: "Does your derg bite?"

Dog Owner: "No, my dog does not bite"

Inspector: "Good derggie (pat, pat...growl- snap!)... Yeeow! I thought you said your derg does not bite!"

Dog Owner: "That is not my dog".