8800gtx problems

Hi all , i used cmbb en cmak for a long time now but recently i got a new rig. An evga 680i SLI MOBO and an 8800gtx. Now when i want to play a game in cmbb en cmak i get a black screen. I can select a game and see the information but when i wanted to start a game i get a black screen. I read hear already that it has something to do with antilysing. I went to my antilysing and put it off but still no screen.

tried other drivers but no help there. Also read that i need to use old drivers.

AHUM there are no old drivers for this card.

WTF do i have to now so i can play again???

tia

pwncake

Do you get a black screen during some of the 2D game setup screens (such as selecting details in a QuickBattle) or is this just the 3D area of the screen that appears black ?

I don't have a 8800GTX to try this out with, so this may be a problem that is unique to the 8800's. As you've found out, an earlier driver such as 30.82 isn't really going to work with the 8800 (it's old advice where some of the 4x.xx series and a few of the 5x.xx series of Detonators caused some problems). Which 680SLI drivers do you have installed (though I don't know what may be in there for PCI Express support) ? Have you applied all of the Windows system patches (assuming that you're running Windows XP SP2) ?

Is your setup a single display or is it multiple displays ? Multiple displays may be a bit more problematic with some 3D games. Which particular drivers have you tried (version numbers), with the 97.92's being the latest available ? When trying the different drivers have you uninstalled them first or just installed over them with the next driver ? Uninstalling may be necessary to get all of the software and settings out, so that they don't affect the next driver (as rare of a situation as that may be).

Hi Schrullenhaft, tnx for your reply i installed the latest 680 drivers from nvidia en installed the latest drivers from nvidia for my 8800 but i didnt uninstall the drivers before. Try that option tonight.

I use only one display and the black screen is when you can setup up your forces so i reccon thats the 3d area.

All the patches for xp sp2 are applied so thats not the answer.

hope you got some other tries because i dont think uninstalling the video driver will help my problem

tia

Uninstalling and installing the next video driver is generally a good practice that most of use usually skip. Depending on what changes have been implemented it does help sometimes to 'clean up' things so that nothing is left behind that may effect the new driver. In this particular case it is just something to try that admittedly will probably not solve the issue.

What 3D settings are you using in Nvidia Control Panel (Start Menu > Control Panel > Nvidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings tab) ? I'd suggest setting

Anisotropic filtering to Off

Anisotropic mip filter optimization to Off

Anisotropic sample optimization to Off

Antialiasing settings to None or Application-controlled

Conformant texture clamp to Off or Use hardware

Error reporting to Off (though this is probably used for OpenGL to my knowledge)

Extension limit to On (this is also for OpenGL)

Force Mipmaps to Trilinear or any setting actually

Gamma Correct Antialising to Off

Hardware acceleration to Single display performance mode or Compatibility performance mode (which may be something to test)

Negative LOD bias to Allow

Texture filtering to any setting

Threaded optimization to Off

Transparency antialiasing to Off

Trilinear optimization may default to On (and can't be changed)

Triple buffering to Off

Vertical sync to any setting, though On might avoid 'tearing' of the 3D display

These settings aren't optimized for CM, but they should hopefully give you some sort of 3D display if there is something wrong with some of the 97.xx driver's code when it comes to the 8800 series Geforces. Almost any feature that can be turned off, probably should be in order to eliminate certain code branches within the driver (again, assuming that there is a bug within one of them that is affecting CM).

It may just boil down to the need for a new driver from Nvidia. The problem is getting them to notice a particular issue (which is often some sort of optimization within their driver code) and get them to change it. I currently see this problem with the SiS northbridge integrated video chips. Old drivers worked with CM and for the last two years their drivers have resulted in black displays for the 3D window (though they work with other 3D apps).