Video Problems Voodoo5

Setup - most recent V5 drivers from 3dfx.com

PIII 550 512 ram 10G+ free HD space

W98 managing swap disk

SB Live

Logitec mouse

With the prior version of the Voodoo 5 drivers, CM ran fine. With the new version, on 1068*780 and all resoultions, the text blocks under the unit details are solid white with no text. The text significant places on the map are white blocks also, but here the text is a bright blue - readable, but barely.

Without the details on the unit placement, facing, morale etc, the sim is unplayable.

Any ideas or help would be welcome.

Oh yea, would rather not go back to the prior set of drivers, the current set seems to give a boost to Falcon 4.

Thanks in advance,

------------------

Duke

189VFS

X/O

Thanks to both of you.

Changed D3d AA to 2 and it runs fine.

Now to download those sounds and graphic patches,,,again.

Had deleted and reinstalled earlier this AM.

Thanks again,

If either of you are into Falcon4, let me return the favor.

------------------

Duke

189VFS

X/O

See, thats odd, because I get the White Text at 1024x768 if I run at 2X FSAA.

I also can't minimize the app unless I'm running with single chip, but quite frankly, I can't play it in single chip because it's so damn ugly.

It would be nice if BTS could fix some of these rendering problems that are happening for the Voodoo5.

Whocake,

Start tab, bring up control panel, display, advanced, 3dfx tools, d3d anti-ailias (probably spelled that wrong) set to 2.

Restart.

PS I have the latest Voodoo 5 drivers (7/21 release date I believe)

Hope this works.

------------------

Duke

189VFS

X/O

Just a note -- I have the same problems with the yellow text on a white background during the game, using a V5 and the latest drivers. I will turn the card down to single chip, but it seems lame that we have to do this.

Holy code recycling, Batman: I've played the last two BF games (AS and OtR) on Voodoo cards, and they all experienced the same mouse pointer corruption as I am now seeing in CM. This was on two different computers, no themes, schemes, or custom mouse pointers :\

--scharmers

My V5 with the latest drivers always crashes when exiting CM. Errors always say Explorer faulted. CM worked fine with my Matrox G400 Max, but I'm paying the price for wanting FSAA.

I posted my problem on the 3dfxgamers board, but I wish BTS would take this up with 3dfx or fix it in the CM code.

Voodoo 5 are funny old things. But some (PC) pointers for any who haven't trawled through the BB at 3DFXGamers.

Apologies if I'm saying anything here that is common knowledge. My intention is NOT to treat anyone like an idiot, but to make sure that everyone han't missed anything obvious. This game is absolutely fantastic with 4xFSAA and 1280x1024 resolution, and everyone with a Voodoo 5 should be getting the best from this game. biglaugh.gif

1) Make sure ALL your old card drivers are removed. Edit the registry if you have to. References to your old card can cause all sorts of problems, including those funky Explorer faults.

2) Make sure it's not sharing an IRQ with anything.

3) Using a VIA chipset with it? Was the install in this order? Win9x, Via 4 in 1 drivers, Video card drivers.

4) Clean install of Win9x can help.

Loads more general tweaking thoughts floating through my head, but it's late (early even) here in the UK, and I'm supposed to be working.

BTW... CM works fine with no FSAA, 2x and 4x FSAA. The only problems I have experienced with CM and Voodoo 5 are the fuzzy/dual image when you use the ESC button, and one small graphical block error under the mouse pointer on the loading/briefing screens. So I don't use the Escape button. wink2.gif

System consists of:

P3650@866

Win 98SE

Abit VT6X4 mobo Via 694 chipset and latest 4 in 1 pack.

MX300 s/card vortex 2 2048 reference drivers

Voodoo 5 with latest drivers.

No Wallpaper/themes/funky pointers on desktop.

If anyone wants to know the detailed settings of the my particualr card setup, then feel free to e-mail me, and I can post them when I get back home and have access to them.