Msh data exporting progressing

Hi,

just want to notify you all, that progress has been made in exporting data from msh files, thanks to guy called "fatduck", he jump started the search for the msh specification.

The current status is that we can export base 3d geometry from msh file.

thats all for now.

msh3if5.jpg

br.

Dr.Jones

If you can create separate meshes with freely available tools and then import them back into TOW easily, then it is a huge step forward. Once you can create "MSH pieces" of unit models you can easily join them up using the HIER files which are text editable! Individual vehicles are made up of smaller meshes and then integrated to create the whole unit. That means you may only have to model certain parts of a new vehicle and then merge it with existing parts to create something entirely new. All the armor and gun specifications are done through text editing.

Originally posted by Gnasher:

Dr Jones,

How far does this get us to adding extra 3d models, pretty far by the sounds of it?

Gnasher, with the current knowledge atleast we can convert msh file to other 3d formats, wich is quite a step (max plugin for importing msh into Max not into TOW, someone is already doing this plugin). Exporting to msh from Max,this it's a another story. We need to decipher so called second section, if we do that than there is possibility.

br.

Dr.Jones

Originally posted by Sneaksie:

Dr. Jones, this is amazing. Your dedication is second to none! :cool:

It's not just me, thanks should go to IL2 community, there are some serious guy's about this, specialy to fatduck.

br.

Dr.Jones

Very, very interesting!

I'd love to see some of the aircraft from IL2 imported into ToW, I assume that this work brings this further to becoming a reality. The planes I most like to see are:-

Typhoon - OK IL2 doesn't have one so I'd settle happily for a rocket firing Tempest hack

B25 - because it can be used by all allied sides & would look much better than the rather lame B17 that's been implemented.

B20 - again because it was used by the RAF, VVS, & USAAF & was much more a tactial bomber than the B17

Ju87 Stuka - both dive bombing & 37mm Flak variants (I cant understandwhy this along with the Flak 36 gun weren't in the original line up.)

Also I guess that this work will bring more in the way of new 3d objects like pill boxes & gun emplacements, both very much needed.

GJ Mr Jolly & Dr Jones!

Originally posted by Gnasher:

Very, very interesting!

I'd love to see some of the aircraft from IL2 imported into ToW, I assume that this work brings this further to becoming a reality. The planes I most like to see are:-

Typhoon - OK IL2 doesn't have one so I'd settle happily for a rocket firing Tempest hack

B25 - because it can be used by all allied sides & would look much better than the rather lame B17 that's been implemented.

B20 - again because it was used by the RAF, VVS, & USAAF & was much more a tactial bomber than the B17

Ju87 Stuka - both dive bombing & 37mm Flak variants (I cant understandwhy this along with the Flak 36 gun weren't in the original line up.)

Also I guess that this work will bring more in the way of new 3d objects like pill boxes & gun emplacements, both very much needed.

GJ Mr Jolly & Dr Jones!

There are some difference between IL2 and TOW meshes, IL2 has shadow faces which TOW doesn't have and TOW has tangent space information which IL2 doesnt have. But for now I don't see any problem importing new props and even tanks. Problem is nature of the export, because in msh files there are collision object which are needed for the game engine, so when exporting some mesh to msh file, you would need to insert into it the collision parts - msh file can have multi collision 3d parts seperated by a name(these are only vertices, faces and neigbour information).

Gnasher don't forget fatduck also smile.gif he has been instrumental in moving forward the msh exporter.

br.

Dr.Jones

hi, And gnasher, don't forget that planes model from IL2 game, contain another hierarchy we plane into TOW, into tow plane is just modded into 1 bone part, or into IL2 game, it exist various bones amount, same bones amount as tank model category into TOW.

So exist a various other little detail, we don't permit in easy way to import IL2 game model into TOW.

And to moment any others what have interests, is to convert animation from model.

Because Obj format don't permit to save any information about animation, 3ds format yes. So conversion should are done into 3ds format and nothing allias wavefront old format.