noob to Mods

Yipes...

I know there are many more people out there like myself that find moding abit painful, and sounds alot more difficult than anything in CMBB or CMAK which was extremely easy to edit. From the sounds of modding for this game sounds like you need to know a bit about developing, photo shop and whatever. I dont have time basically but would appreciate any assistance on to where I can find a great "Patch" if you will that includes new vehicles and Unit modifications. Like US Rangers, Paratroopers, Fallschimjaeger, Waffen SS, Italian camo, British Camo units. Has this been done, and if so has someone made a download so you can choose more types of units. Yikes I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Juergen

Actually, the game is quite easy to mod even though there are no formal tools.

An unofficial tool was released to unpack the game modules and a lot of the content can be edited using a simple text editor.

The developers even released some instructional files showing requirements to create 3ds max files which could then be ported into the game.

Vehicle Models (or lack thereof) was never an issue with me concerning this game. The lack of a decent TAC-AI and infantry controls definitely is, however. Those problems are not so easily fixed in a "mod". At least not the kind of mod most people are referring to.

Let's say we had textured Ranger, Italian, or British commando troops to play with. Ultimately all you would really have is extra unit types which require painful levels of micro-management and you would struggle to get them to do anything useful even if you did. It's not the content, it's the implementation that bothers me most.

ahhh I get it. Basicaly who cares if the skins to the units look different.. Its the AI for the unit that needs modification.

Well put, Well hopefully someone out there smile.gif can make elite units, elite units, Like Rangers, Airborne, and PzGdr units. I have played about a total of 6 missions, and I hate how you have to tell them to stop all the time, as they run into tanks and machine gun fire. I do like how CMBB and CMAK have Green-Crack unit that you can just select.

Anyways cheers to all the Moders out there!

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Actually, the game is quite easy to mod even though there are no formal tools.

An unofficial tool was released to unpack the game modules and a lot of the content can be edited using a simple text editor.

The developers even released some instructional files showing requirements to create 3ds max files which could then be ported into the game.

I know I should search more - But please drop me a link for this info and files - thanks.

Yipes.... I may just stick to designing my own CMBB and CMAK battles... its far easier.

One of these day they will have mods for the noobs that like wargaming. Anyways it is a pretty engine though with TOW.

I agree thought the Infantry from both sides are pretty generic as far as fighting. If your not babbysitting them, they will all die for sure. Artillery is the mother though... even when prone they get killed easy. Im sure the artillery has the same line of sight (damage) as everything else plus concussion kill range. anyways artillery is nasty against troops.

Originally posted by Juergen2SS:

Yipes.... I may just stick to designing my own CMBB and CMAK battles... its far easier.

One of these day they will have mods for the noobs that like wargaming. Anyways it is a pretty engine though with TOW.

I agree thought the Infantry from both sides are pretty generic as far as fighting. If your not babbysitting them, they will all die for sure. Artillery is the mother though... even when prone they get killed easy. Im sure the artillery has the same line of sight (damage) as everything else plus concussion kill range. anyways artillery is nasty against troops.

The ToW editors are supremely powerful , you can do pretty much what you want, if you can code it.

Only problem is they aint that easy to learn.......

I agree, the only problem.. I have no idea of code, what it is and such. Therefore I will most likely stick to CMBB and CMAK to make my scenerios and campaigns.

But I really do Like how TOW looks, too bad not everyone has the experience to code to make your own missions and scenarios.

Well this is the main reason I was lobbying for a map maker/mission builder forum!

Somewhere to swap ideas & code, tbh it's not rocket science but does need some time, & other peoples ideas always help further you knowledge.

I highly recommend Webwings tutorials for getting started, & once you get started you realise what an awesome product we have in ToW. You can do practically anything you want within limits of course.

I urge everyone to play with the mission builder. Its tons of blood/sweat/fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I know I most definitely need to be posting in this thread.

I'm trying to replace the default soldier names with more common names of the period (via census data), but each time I replace a name in the .ini file, I only get a "?" for the name in the mission itself, even though the name I've chosen comes up fine in the mission editor.

I tried modifying the .xml directly, because I thought perhaps the game was trying to read from the original names list (which I thought I overrode), but that didn't help either.

Suggestions?

[ June 04, 2008, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Fiatnox ]