We Need A Map Making Forum.......... ?

hello Owen, Madmatt already answered your question:

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Your not actually detroying the old one, rather you are creating a new one with the same name which is used instead (the old map is not directly affected) This is from the manual:

6. Saving a map and linking it up to a mission

To save an edited map select the item Save map on the menu File.

Changes you made will be saved to the folder Maps\<map name> of the game directory. To see the results of your work load any of missions that uses that map. You can create a new mission in the mission editor.

If you need to restore the original map clear the folder Maps\<map_name>.

So with some renaming of directories in the Map folder (when you want to play with a new one), you could have several versions of a modified map, as well as still have access to the original.

Madmatt

• 1 month later...

Gnasher, I had a question about your Hill 112 and Maltot maps. What original maps do they replace, or is there a way to get a new map into the game that's not based on an original map? BTW.. They are both outstanding maps.

Regards,

Tom

Quite simply they don't! They are new original maps.

It's quite easy really, all you need to do is copy one of the clear maps & rename the copy to the name you want for the map. Then I use touched up resized google earth screenshots for the maintex.tga (near zone) & farmaintex.tga (far zone) & the minimap.tga. These are of the real places.

Then I go into the map editor & add contours, buildings, trees etc & after a lot of time a map emerges although the process gets quicker as you learn the tools!