Poland campaign tips?

Hey there ToW players!

Having played tutorial and read the manual carefully, I seem to know most of stuff how gameplay works, but I'm having trouble with my first Poland campaign (want to play chronological of ww2) - it's perhaps the hardest one, don't ya think?

I've read faq of ToW on the other post - very informative, I'm trying to use all the tricks, but still everything goes nasty in battle with awful casualties of mine (those german panzers 2 and especially the 38 czeck model and nasty 75mm PIV really own me. Need to really work on pause and micromanaging I guess. So I'm asking you put all the tips and best mission unit compositions of Poland campaign and strategies, thx!

Now I play on veteran level (for realistic play of course) and I'm kinda stuck at mission 2 - rising tide. My composition - 2 AT inf squads + 2 inf squads with 1 browning mg each, 2 bofors arty, 3 7pt light tanks (best Polish tanks I think) + 1 20 mm tankette. Of course I put all the best skilled men (best gunners and drivers I have + put reserve of skilled gunners in inf squads to replace killed arty men).

I deploy on the hill slope (mission 2) facing german 4 arty hill with 2 bofors in center, 2 tanks on each flank with infantry rushing to perform covering fire and defend my hill. I put my 2 valuable AT riflemen close nearby in hide.

The thing is I can't seem to defeat those german paks36 soon enough and I get crushed on both flanks by panzers.

Looking forward to your advice and tips, thx in advance!

Some people found it useful to deploy Polish troops on reverse slope, almost near river.

In general, tanks crossing the hilltop have huge disadvantage - they can't open fire immediately (their guns can't depress enough), while guns or tanks from below can fire immediately after seeing them and sometimes even score hits into thin bottom.

Originally posted by Sneaksie:

Some people found it useful to deploy Polish troops on reverse slope, almost near river.

In general, tanks crossing the hilltop have huge disadvantage - they can't open fire immediately (their guns can't depress enough), while guns or tanks from below can fire immediately after seeing them and sometimes even score hits into thin bottom.

Well I followed your advice and now I really get pwned by panzers even more than before - the reverse slope defense is non existant, cause my stupid tank gunners can't hit a thing, my 2 bofors always get taken out by first shells (wth I thought they were supposed to be AT) and I'm starting with like 4 tanks vs german maybe 20, how am I supposed to win at all, is it even possible?

Plz help me on this, cause this game is really begining to put me off :(

Originally posted by Sneaksie:

I've played Polish campaign long time ago...

In fact, Polish campaign is the hardest. Then the Soviet i think. Do you have Normandy campaign? It's difficulty is much mmore managable) After you beat it, go for other ones)

Yeah I think Polish camp is the hardest too, oh well seems like I'll have to play it trough on regular level or even on easy afterall. Other than arty (bofors and 75 mm field cannon) and 7pt tank, polish forces are completely crap against concentrated panzer force (like in real history anyways) I noticed.

Btw how many missions are there with poland?

There seems to be 3 missions in the Polish campaign : Mokra, Bzura and Sandomierz.

And also, if you play with the über-patched version, mind that "veteran" difficulty mode gives AI an advantage in accuracy to balance its relative "stupidity" compared to a human player. The fully balanced mode (player equal to AI) is now the "regular" mode.