British single mission: Who won it ?

Just for the sake of interest:

Who won the british para single mission on hard, and how?

With inadequate troops I have to take 3 bridges.

As I cautiously advance a few yards two SdKfz 251 with some grenadiers shoot me to pieces. Funny to be wiped out after two minutes gameplay without cover :rolleyes: . Scrambling my few survivors (machine gunners always fall first - unwritten TOW law) I get some tanks, one of them an oldtimer, a Matilda - in 1944! I flank the positions and finally take the bridges without tank loss.

So I am told to take the small village. As I go about things get wild. I get another para squad coming from the west which gets wiped as it passes an undetected PAK and then three Panthers come over me with lighting speed and shoot my crap tanks apart :eek: . I pass two more minutes watching my little men die in confusion and then its thankfully over.

Not that I ever gonna play this mission again - but did someone beat it?

PS: I know that everyone now thinks I can't play - but never in ten years has a tactical game given me such problems. I can stand to loose and don't need to win every time but I don't even want to start the mission again. It feels like FPS where from time to time there is a level where you are about to die dozens of times until you finally make it by chance.

When you see these advancing tanks you can kiss your mission goodbye, you must not allow them to arrive in the first place. When you approach the village, a car departs from it, heading towards the edge of the map at full speed. Shoot it from everything you have, if it manages to get away, it will call these reinforcements)

Also, order your 4th para squad to prone, that way they can survive long enough while other your troops can kill the enemy firing at them.

I see Sneaksie. So there is a plot.

Would have been nice though to have a hint about that when you get the order to attack the village. Not so blunt like "shoot the car" but something like "Let no one be able to get away and call reinforcements, german Panzer unit is close by".

That would not leave the player stumbling in the dark.

I still don't like such terminator missions.

Might try again one day but certainly not now.

***********SPOILERS**************

I came very close to winning this mission AFTER the Panthers show up. I used my tanks to ambush the german armor as it came over the hill at close range. Ultimately, there was one damaged and one undamaged Panther left and I didn't have anything left to stop them with... smile.gif