Lake Seliger - Stalemate *spoilers

I'm playing Lake Seliger (russian campaign, 5th or 6th battle I think). I've defeated the first 2 waves with only minor mishaps, but the bulk of the 3rd wave and remnants of the 2nd are sitting on the other side of the rise and refuse to budge. I sent out some scout teams and the reverse slope is filled with AC's, HT's and troops who are wisely not cresting the ridge where they will be wiped out by massed 45mm, MG and SMG fire (I captured 4 MG34's and 3 MP40's, hehe). Kudos to the AI...but the game is apparently in a stalemate and never going to end. I let it run that way for 30 minutes...no change. There's no way I can attack a concentrated force of armor and infantry over the top of a clear ridge with crunchies, trucks and wheeled 45mm guns.

So is there a time limit that will run out or what? Or do I have to commit suicide. There's no way to ask for cease fire or even surrender.

Thanks

Hi renaud, I havent played this mission as the ruski's, I have played the german side of this mission though.

Is there no way you can pull a flanking manouvere... a type of pincer movement and squeeze the litle buggers out of their hide?

For what its worth, the German misssion was nigh impossiible too... I ended up with a faux victory, I had to arm all my tankers with SMG weapons from fallen ruski's and storm the town at the end of the map.

Is the ridge you refer to the near the road at the end of the map near the german starting position?

the other end, just past the ruski trench line and almost to the village. I'm manuevering 2 trucks with AT guns around the back side now. Just have to figure out how to get the AT gun crews to roll forward, not pull, the last few meters into LOS of the AC's. To have a chance I think I will have to rush from all sides.

In the meantime i've been creeping up 2-man teams and sniping their infantry 1 at a time...very slow work.

Loading the patch will mean you need to replay this mission someday... so with that in mind...

I setup my 3 AT guns on a hill slope on the left of the map. From this position they take a heavily toll on the german column advancing up the road. The only place safe from them (for the germans)is to advance around the right hand side of the russian trenches.

The threat around that right side can be dealt with by your reinforcements.

A squad of german infantry appears from the left behind those guns. A snowmobile or two is more than sufficient to deal with them.

[ June 27, 2007, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Rapier ]

Well, nothing has worked for me, at least for this game. There's simply no way for me to attack with the AT guns. I haven't been able to figure out the trick to roll my at guns forward with the shield toward the enemy. According to someone's post in the tactics sticky, this is possible but I can't make it happen. The default is to pull it in reverse, which gets the crews wiped out. I'll just have to start this scenario over and place my guns on the crewst of the ridge to wipe the germans out on the road before a stalemate has a chance to occur.

I'm not planning on applying the patch until i finish the russian campaign, then i'll start fresh with the patched version.

I had the same problem with that mission. I had all of my AT guns intact and some infantry available, most of the snowmobiles were functional. The germans had 2 ACs and some 5-6 infantry waiting on the reverse slope. First 2-3 ATGs I displaced were quickly destroyed. Sadly to report I went with a non-conventional tactic (read gamey). I left one AT gun on the left side ridge and advanced two others, their destination was just before the point where the other two were destroyed. When they were in position I used the snowmobiles as decoy (with a side effect of killing some infantry) and assaulted the ACs with my available inf. Taking advantage of all the confusion, I advanced the ATGs and managed to kill one AC. The remaining AC fled up the road and was picked up by my other ATG in ambush. After destroying the ACs dealing with the remaining infantry was easy.