AT Guns, Range Fire, and Tanks

Ok I am starting out on the first Polish mission and learning as I go...

A couple of questions -

If you can't put AT guns in a bush or on the back of a hill... what do you do? Seems the enemy tanks target them a mile away. I have found it successful to hide them in a bush... hold fire and position until the enemy is close then attack.

Once an AT Gun fires, most long range guns or artillery will take it out very quickly. Should I move it? Should I hope the enemy forgets about it?

I now understand the range and penetration chart.. this helps alot but I have AT guns and tanks that constantly run dry of ammo. Asking for an ammo vehicle might be alittle much but there had to be some ammo depots and runners to the front lines on occasion... I guess these are not going to be added in? It would make realistic sense if you had 1 ammo vehicle you could call in reserve and help re-ammo a few units maximum... if they even made it out alive during the firefight would be balance enough seeing they would have to drive to a hot zone and rearm a critical front or gun. Was this realistic?

Tanks - How do you issue reverse commands?

Seeing as I am just on the very first campaign of Poland, the tanks are tough... I have knocked out about 5 (that rush the Blitzkrieg on me) but there is a PIII that sits in the rear flanks of the first front captured from the Germans and it shells everything else to hell that I own. Any attempts to outflank it or artillery it are unsuccessful.

Suggestions?

smile.gif

Hi,

As posted previously on the forum. Take always just 75mm gun (in this mission you can have 3). Place them in the village behind the trenches. Put them in the manner that you will have crossfire with the gun (possible shot from sideway also). And that is practicaly it, until the second wave comes and stops at the trenches and doesnt move forward, then just create the diversion, move some unit to his left flank, and move AT gun a little forward to (with hold fire) to target the tanks, first target should be MarkIV,(target the turret), and then just wait for third wave which runs to the village.

Important is also to put some soldier (scout) forward in bush or near tree (over the slope overlooking trenches) with hold fire, hold movement to spot in which direction tanks are comming so you can preorient guns to correct direction.

br.

Dr.Jones

[ May 09, 2007, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Dr.Jones ]

Guest lmgroth

I agree... if you never played the scenario before, deploy in the setup area as if you are preparing to defend it.

Send scouts to locate the enemy before committing to a strategy and moving units.

it seems that at least this map (and from the looks of it more), are way too small.

If you're the defender, the second you start the battle the tanks will be well within their firing range so you have to sit tight and hope for the best .

Suffice to say, as this mission was my first in the game I freaked out.

Everything I had was getting obliterated literally within a minute and my AT's in the bushes hiding were getting spotted way too easily and usually died before firing a single shot.

Then I remember everyone yelling about AT's and reverse slopes (can I get an accurate definition of the term plz?) + killzones.

So I made a welcoming party crossfire at the entrance to the village and laughed at ze germans.

It is quite a shocking introduction to the game, but a good spankage is all I needed to go "oooh, more than challenging".

Oh, as for those tanks holding at the first trenches I trucked one of those big I-don't-remember-their-name AT's all around the right road where apparently you have it all:

Clear sideshot (all the armor in a line), and the reverse of what many people are whining about: I have LOF on all the tanks but only the first and mebbe second could had LOF on me :cool:

Ofc when the 3rd wave comes you gotta drop the gun and run...

[ May 09, 2007, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: nonickch ]

Look at it this way; AT guns are tanks without both mobility and protection. Their one advantage is that they have a low silhouette which disappears the moment they fire a shot.

Given this, do you really think an AT gun wants to duel with a tank?

If you ever read up about ATGs in WWII most crews knew the first shot had to be the killer, or if they were lucky enough to still be alive when the second shell was loaded, a second shot to get the kill. ATGs were often priority targets in WWII.

Mind you one of the issues in game is the inability to have ATGs dig in.

Also, ATG's are unreasonably expensive.

A ZIS-2 as expensive as a T34?

Since the AT's have a tendency to survive 1-2 shots in open area, at least as a defending force you should be able to field more of em and hope for the best.

On the other hand, AT's just don't like breaking down even after getting direct shots from AP/HE, so that's something.

Altho there are quite a few maps where I'm running out of infantry not because they're getting shot in the trenches but in the AT's.

2-3 AT's vs 10-15 panzers in open space is not my cup of tea, but I have to admit it's doable and it keeps you on your toes.