Game crashes to desktop

I bought the DVD version of Theatre of War yesterday. The game runs just fine, but the problem is that after a couple of saves and loads, my saved games get corrupted and the game crashes to the desktop after 1/3 of loading. Is this a known issue and is there any fix for this problem?

I have the same problem with the downloaded version. After i chose my units and press start, the game quits to desktop from loading screen. The weirdest thing is that when i first installed this game it worked perfectly.

Ps. I tried everything on your FAQ about loading screen crashes, but nothing helps :(

It crashes on any mission, yes. I have made 7 savegames and 2 quicksaves under a time period of 3 hours. All are from the polish campaign and different maps and everyone is failing. It seems like it’s not just the saves which getting corrupted. This because I have tried to restart the polish (and the german) campaign from the beginning, and even start a new single battle, but the game still crashes to the desktop after 1/3. The only way to make the game playable again is to create a new profile and start over again. And even then the problem with save/load persists.

It looks like eviltwin and I have the same problem.

A correction to the above, it won’t help just to recreate the profile; I have to delete everything under the directory user before I recreate the profile to make it work. Another discovery is that if I recreate the profile by wiping the content of the user directory it’s possible to play again. It’s even possible to save and load again, but just in the same gaming session (it’s even possible to go back to the menu and start another game). If I end the game to the desktop, and restart it again, it’s impossible to load or start any game again.

Good news: The saves are NOT corrupted, the problem is elsewhere. If I run ToWsetup.exe and press Autodetect every time before I start ToW, it’s possible to start any game and load any saved game again. But it’s importend to do this procedure before start of the game, even if nothing is changed. The game itself says that The Screen Resolution has changed, even if it has not. My screen resolution is 1600*1080.

It wasn´t "advanced text services" :( , it still crashes.

If I just make the following changes in the file users\video.ini before I start the ToW.exe, all the old saves och all new battles works again.

Before edit:

oldWidthResolution=1680

oldHeightResolution=1050

After edit :

oldWidthResolution=1024

oldHeightResolution=768

An "easier" way is just to run ToWsetup.exe and press Autodetect. The bad thing is that this must be done every time before I start ToW.exe.