Peeps with AGP cards

You should really think about upgrading your system if your still using an AGP card.

Click on this link>

Tweeks guide

Exerts:

AGP Aperture Size: This setting determines the allocation of physical RAM for use by an AGP graphics card, should it become necessary. A better description can be found in this AGP Aperture Size FAQ. To decide how big it should be keep in mind the following: (1) keep it above 32MB, as an Aperture Size below 32MB will disable AGP texturing - reducing your performance greatly in games; (2) the greater the amount of Video RAM on your graphics card, the smaller this setting should be; (3) Values between 64MB and 256MB show no real performance difference; and (4) Using larger values can result in more crashes such as General Protection Faults and potential texture corruption. So with all of these in mind, I recommend an Aperture Size of 128MB for most AGP graphics cards. If you have an older 32MB graphics card, set the Aperture to 256MB. If you experience a large number of crashes or texture glitches, try lowering the Aperture to 64MB regardless of your Video RAM amount.

Originally posted by Tofke:

thx Wolfseven,

I took 1 hour to setup my GC like your link explain....

and WHAOUUUU!!!! i have to gain 7 fps...

Thx a lot for these tips ;)

your welcome glad your up and running.

• 1 month later...

I have suffered a problem with TOW on my PC since it was released. I believed it was a game, driver, and video card problem because of the symptoms. (crashes, video hangs, video siganl dying...) Troubleshooting included the gambit of defragging, cleaning old drivers installing new drivers reinstalling the game, changing setting etc. I recently installed the Combat Mission: Shock Force Demo and similar results in that the video card signal to the monitor would die within a few minutes of starting game play. The game was still running, I could hear the game sounds come and go as I alt-tabbed in and out of the game. The reset button was the only solution. I found this thread and the link provided by Wolfseven and after following the ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide my problems in both games have been resolved. The guide is quite comprehensive and takes some time but the result was well worth the investment.

Big thanks to Wolfseven! Are you the author of the Tweak Guides?

[ August 06, 2007, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Hammer ]

Hammer,

I am also having problems of video signal dying within a few minutes of starting game play in ToW. I own an ATI 1950XT AGP video card. Could you please tell us which are the key changes you made to the video card configuration to solve the problems?? I have tried some changes in my card but I have had no success...

Thank you very much for your help !!!

Txema

Ill look tonight and try to list what I did, but if you follow the link to the tweaks guide at the top of the page.

Basically I preformed the following sections from the guide:

Page 1: Introduction

Page 2: Essential Optimization

Page 3: Catalyst Installation

Page 4: Tidying Up

Page 5: Windows Graphics CP

Page 6: Catalyst Control Center

Page 7: Catalyst CC (Pt.2)

Page 8: Catalyst CC (Pt.3)

I did not perform the advanced tweaks or the OC section.

Well, I'm grateful you pointed me in the right direction. This is my first ATI card and I was starting to regret the purchase. I'm not at a place to get away from AGP at the moment. A new video card is no big deal but new video card, mobo and processor is a different story So I'm just coaxing my Athalon based system along.

Thanks again