Game Hangs - repeatable

I have yet to complete a single mission because the game hangs.

Tried the following - Turned off the following options: Shadows, EAX, sound.

Test this - launch TOW, leave it at the main menu screen, don't select anyting, within 15 to 20 mins it will just hang! and require a cnt-alt-del and killing the process.

P4 3GHz

1.5 GB Ram

6800 GS Video w/256 MB

DX 9.0d

SoundBlaster Live 5.1 sound card

Win XP SP2

Update

Looks like it's sound related. I've been tring to find updated drivers for my Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card. The driver is 5.12.1.203 dated 9/2/2003 and the lasted one support. Creative No longer support this card, third party drivers don't work because it's a Dell, it seems Dell Sound Blaster cards aren't the same thing!

I don't have any sound issues with any other game.

If anyone knows of better drivers that work with the dell version of the cards?

Guest lmgroth

I suspect I have the same problem. I can rarely complete a mission without a lockup at some random point. More often then not it is accompanied by a part of a soundfile playing in an endless repeating loop... until I ctrl-alt-del and kill the game.

I've had sound card issues in the past... and it sounded just like this... it may have been when I updated to XP from W2K... sound card wasn't compatible and I ended up buying a new one... hope that's not the fix again this time.

I have tried the usual suspects EAX/shadows/music/swap file). I think the swapfile fix did make things more stable.

Soundcard: Creative SB Audigy LS.

Driver: 5.12.1.512

Driver Date: 7/12/2005

P4 2.8GHz

2GB Ram

Nvidia 7800 GS w/256 MB Driver 93.71

DX 9.0c

Win XP SP2

I wonder if this is still part of the overall sound issue that is (hopefully) being addressed in the upcoming patch? Anyone know?

Guest lmgroth

Update: I played a game without any sound at all and was able to play a complete game without a freeze.

I wouldn't say 1 complete game is definitive... but it's been quite a while since I got through a game without a freeze. So the first game w/o sound AND no freeze says a lot to me that sound may be my issue. (Maybe I'll really risk it and try turning shadows back on!)

BTW... playing w/o sound REALLY STINKS! It is amazing how much depth and immersion sound adds. I hope 1C gets these problems fixed in the patch.

Guest lmgroth

Believe me... I have been running the game with EAX and music OFF since I read the recommendations. The random freezes would still happen when I left sound ON.

Last night I finally experimented with ALL sound OFF and did not experience any problems in the first game I tried. (almost 2 hours straight w/o a freeze.)

I guess the sound issue affects my system more then others. Here's hoping the patch helps!

Originally posted by pad152:

Update

Looks like it's sound related. I've been tring to find updated drivers for my Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card. The driver is 5.12.1.203 dated 9/2/2003 and the lasted one support. Creative No longer support this card, third party drivers don't work because it's a Dell, it seems Dell Sound Blaster cards aren't the same thing!

I don't have any sound issues with any other game.

If anyone knows of better drivers that work with the dell version of the cards?

If the card was bought with the Dell then I suggest downloading the drivers from Dell's support website. It is probably an OEM version of the 5.1 and possibly needs specific drivers from Dell.