Need a volunteer to check the fix for "Use 1 CPU" bad performance !

We are working on the AMD multicore problem (it is when the performance does not change regardless of “Use 1 CPU”). We *seem* to have found what can cause it.

As of current, we are unable to reproduce the issue. All of our machines work just fine with this option.

So, before the actual fix, we need somebody with a multicore CPU, who has this problem, and who is willing to help.

Here is what you have to do:

1) You must have administrator access rights.

2) Start TOW.

3) Open Task Manager, switch to Processes tab.

4) Find tow.exe process.

5) Right-click on the tow.exe and open “Set Affinity…” menu. A list of available processors appears (CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, ...). Those used by TOW are checked.

6) Uncheck all the marks except the first one (doing this, we expect you to leave only the CPU 0, but who knows... that’s what we are trying to determine).

7) Press OK. That’s it. TOW is now using only 1 CPU INDEED. Switch to TOW, check the performance and post your info in this thread + your machine specs.

SIO

Here is my findings using this pc:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 / 4400+ 2.2 GHz

GeForce 8800 GTS OC2 / 640MB / PCI-E / 580 / 1700

2 x Kingston 1024 MB DDR RAM 3200 (Mhz 400)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

My DxDiag file: DxDiag.txt

I use Fraps version 2.8.2 6488 and reads the result in my G15 LCD display, i.e. no FPS counter on screen.

Enabling or disabling EAX didn't show any difference. All this tests is taken with EAX on.

I selected the single battle "Whirlwind" as my benchmark mission and it took about 45secs to load each time. Selected the default settings in the mission.

When the mission started I used the mousewheel to get to the ground and gave it one notch up, i.e. one step above ground. I then moved the camera a little to left for getting a better picture. of all the units.

First measure point is right behind the rearmost soldier, i.e. he is in the left side of the screen. Example: FPS_Point_01.jpg

Next measure point is behind the 2. M24 TD:

FPS_Point_02.jpg

And the last is in front of them all, making sure the M5 is out of the picture:

FPS_Point_03.jpg

Ok, thats the points then I will go through enabling/disabling "Use one CPU" inside game vs. setting the affinity my self as of the first post.

And then use two screen resolutions, the lowest at 1024x768x60hz and my screens default resolution at 1680x1050x60hz.

And then all this for the three different in-game graphic settings: low, medium and high.

Legend for the chart:

- 1, 2 and 3 is the measure points

- x / y. X is with the Use one Cpu enabled ingame and Y is "Use one Cpu disabled" ingame but affinity sat for tow.exe to CPU0.

- Line 1 is FPS in the setup fase

- Line 2 is FPS in the real time game

Results:

TOW_FPS_Results_New.png

The above is the updated test. The "old" test results can be seen here: Old Results

[ April 28, 2007, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: Cougar_DK ]

Thanks a lot, excellent job!!! smile.gif I couldn't even expect such a detailed answer and can only wish that there would be more posts like yours.

And your numbers show that you benefit from the multicore, at least most of the time.

A couple of things:

- your DxDiag link does not work for me :( (page cannot be displayed)

- however, in 1680x1050 mode, low settings, real time, all 3 points: seems like use 1 CPU option is actually swapped... can be typos, because you've done extensive testing. Or are they the right results?

The other side of this is that we still need somebody with AMD multicore, who does not benefit from switching on and off the use 1 CPU option.

SIO

[ April 28, 2007, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: SIO ]

Thanx SIO, since I'm a software developer myself, I kinda know what I want if I have to debug something ;)

Fixed the DxDiag link, sorry for that.

I will double check my results.

No sure about your last statement. Do you want me to try to run with both cores enabled and post my results?

[ April 28, 2007, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Cougar_DK ]

Computer:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 / 4600+ 2.4 GHz

GeForce 7800GTX 256mb PCI-E

2048mb DDR RAM 3200 (2*1024mb)

Tested in a save game of the German campaign mission Battle of Seliger.

Settings:

1280*1024 @ 60Hz

All settings on max

Using 1cpu (confirmed via task mngr):13-17fps(typically 13fps)

Using both cpus: 14-19fps (typically 15fps)

Same settings except no shadows:

1cpu: 15-20fps (typically 18fps)

2cpus: 18-22fps (typically 20fps)

EAX on or off made no differance

Originally posted by SIO:

5) Right-click on the tow.exe and open “Set Affinity…” menu. A list of available processors appears (CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, ...). Those used by TOW are checked.

6) Uncheck all the marks except the first one (doing this, we expect you to leave only the CPU 0, but who knows... that’s what we are trying to determine).

I have used at work a computer that has two AMD Opteron processors, each of them with two cores. Therefore the computer is a dual processor - 4 core system, having a total of 4 cores. The computer is running under Windows XP 64 bits. When I right-click on a process and Open the “Set Affinity…” menu, I can see a list of 3 available processors (CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2), although the computer has 4 cores. The point is that to make the process run on a single core, I have to uncheck ALL the marks. If I check just one of the CPUs (CPU 0, for example), then the process will run on the default core plus an extra core (CPU 0), and therefore in two cores simultaneously. If I check the 3 CPUs, then the process will run on the default core plus the 3 extra cores, and therefore in the four cores simultaneously.

Therefore, at least in my work's system, to make a process run in a single core, ALL the CPU marks must be unchecked in the “Set Affinity…” menu!!!

Txema

Thanks a lot, Txema.

Some more questions still -

- are you running the game as Admin?

- have you noticed any change in performance?

- did the system allow you to really uncheck all the marks? It should have given you "The process must have affinity with at least 1 processor" message. Or it haven't?

SIO,

I am sorry but I don't own the Dual processor - four core AMD Opteron computer, I just use it at a laboratory at work to do heavy numerical simulations. My company owns the computer, so I can not install Theatre of War in it. I would like to test it, but unfortunately it is not possible...

I have TOW installed at home in my AMD64 4000+ single core computer, and it is running it without problems.

Txema

I have just realized that I can answer to your last question:

- did the system allow you to really uncheck all the marks? It should have given you "The process must have affinity with at least 1 processor" message. Or it haven't?

The system allows me to uncheck all the marks (the three marks in my case) without problems, and by doing so it runs the process in just one core. I have never seen the message "The process must have affinity with at least 1 processor". However it is important to take into account that our system runs under Windows XP 64 bits, and that I have used it just with numerical simulation programs, and not with TOW...

Txema

I see. In your case it can be a configuration, because the OS might have reserved 1 CPU for "its own" needs, whatever it is. That is why it allows you to switch off only other 3.

So, if it is an OS config, maybe you just do not run as ADMINISTRATOR of the computer, hence only 3 "switchable" cores?

By the way, you pressed OK after you switched all 3 available cores off, and it still didn't tell you that message? Sorry for asking again - just want to be 100% sure...

SIO

SIO,

- I run the computer as ADMINISTRATOR, but I can see only 3 "switchable" cores.

- I pressed OK after I switched all 3 available cores off, and it still didn't tell me the "The process must have affinity with at least 1 processor" message.

Please, take into account that the operative system is Windows XP 64 bits (not Windows XP SP2). Perhaps the interface changes sligthly in the 64 bits operative system ??

Txema

SIO,

I have been able to run the dual processor - four core AMD computer under Windows XP SP2 (it is a dual boot system, and when you start the system you can choose between Windows XP 64 bits and Windows XP SP2). The point is that when running under Windows XP SP2, and I right-click on a process and Open the “Set Affinity…” menu, I can see a list of 4 available processors (CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, CPU 3). Now to make the process run on a single core, I have to keep checked 1 of the marks, and I have to leave unchecked the rest of the marks. So my previous comments about having only 3 available processors in the “Set Affinity…” menu were due to the Windows XP 64 bits operative system.

Txema

I have an

I have an AMD athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz (supposed to be close to a 3gig p4)

2gig ram

nvidia 6800 512mb

windows VISTA home premium

I own the full game

I own FRAPS (I get 10fps or lower on medium settings without EAX atm)

have not had any lockups and am about to try ticking single CPU only

EDIT: single CPU selected made no difference, average of 10fps or lower

Let me know if I can be of assistance, I won't go into too much detail if this issue is already dealt with

[ May 06, 2007, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Destraex ]

• 2 weeks later...

-------------------------

CPU-Z version 1.40

-------------------------

Processors Map

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of processors 1

Number of threads 2

Processor 0

-- Core 0

-- Thread 0

-- Core 1

-- Thread 0

Processors Information

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)

Number of cores 2

Number of threads 2 (max 2)

Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Codename Windsor

Specification AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Package Socket AM2 (940)

CPUID F.B.2

Extended CPUID F.4B

Brand ID 4

Core Stepping BH-F2

Technology 90 nm

Core Speed 2009.4 MHz (10.0 x 200.9 MHz)

HT Link speed 1004.7 MHz

Stock frequency 2000 MHz

Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64

L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L2 cache 2 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

FID/VID Control yes

max FID 10.0x

VID range 1.125V - 1.350V

K8 Thermal sensor yes

K8 Revision ID 5.2

Nvidia 7950GT

2GB DUAL Channel RAM

Windows XP SP

TOW Demo

1024x768@60

Shadows none

No EAX

Water detail Low

Trees High

Model Quality High

Very Thick Grass

Trees Rendering High

Show Roads

Hide Bodies

Always show combat gear

Hardware mouse cursor

Show vehicle motion effects

high landscape detail

high sky detail

Use only one cpu NOT CHECKED

I get about 60 fps in the menu screens using FRAPS. It drops down to 1 FPS in the loading screen but pops up to about 45 fps towards the end of loading. It is flat at 1 FPS in the Last Frontier Mission.

After the CPU Affinity tweak, I get about 12-15 FPS during the Last Frontier Mission. No change in the menu or loading screens.

Glide

Now see, that's interesting Glide. I have the same processor as you do but it's the older (non-AM2) package. I only have 1 GB of RAM. Same Windows. 7600GS vid card (substantially less powerful than yours). I can run the game in 1280 x 1024@60 with one core only and get at least, if not better frame rate averages than you are getting on that mission. My quality settings are pretty much identical to yours as well.