My fix for game not starting with Nvidia card

was very simple for me....I had to turn off "extension limit" in the control panel...game starts and runs fine now

8800gt with driver 158.19

A64 3700 socket 754

2g ram

WinXP pro sp2

lastest version of DX

[ April 26, 2007, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Sgt911 ]

Here is a screenshot of that screen. We actually did post it as a sticky but the title is misleading, i will fix that. Rune found that also selecting "threaded optimization" to off helped a great deal as well.

nvid.jpg

Also, if your running a Dual Display, disable the secondary window.

Madmatt

Latest version from nvidia, Fil. Starting to think this isn't video card related. I have 4 computers in the house and last night I proceeded to install it on all 4. The first 2 I installed it on, no dice, same problem as before the application begins the hour glass comes up the video card changes resolutions and then nothing she stays at the desktop. So I then installed it on my last machine the slowest of the bunch 3.2Ghz with a ATI 9800 in her and 1.5 GB of ram, and low and behold the game fires up. So to make sure it wasn't video related I put the 8800 into this machine and again she fire's up no problem. Now the only concernable differnce between the two machines is, the gaming machine has a AMD dual core 4800+ in her and the machine TOW worked on is just a single core intel 3.2Ghz. Also the other 2 machines I tried TOW on, are dual core machines. So I'm starting to think that it is not a video issue but a CPU problem. With that being said I once got TOW up and running she ran beautifully, and what i've seen so far I like alot.

Thanks

Speedee

In addition to the info posted above, we have gotten reports that setting Anistropic Filtering and Anti-Aliasing to "application preference" also allowed the game to launch when in the past it did not (Just got black screen for a second and then back to desktop), so you might want to try that as well.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Speedee:

Latest version from nvidia, Fil. Starting to think this isn't video card related. I have 4 computers in the house and last night I proceeded to install it on all 4. The first 2 I installed it on, no dice, same problem as before the application begins the hour glass comes up the video card changes resolutions and then nothing she stays at the desktop. So I then installed it on my last machine the slowest of the bunch 3.2Ghz with a ATI 9800 in her and 1.5 GB of ram, and low and behold the game fires up. So to make sure it wasn't video related I put the 8800 into this machine and again she fire's up no problem. Now the only concernable differnce between the two machines is, the gaming machine has a AMD dual core 4800+ in her and the machine TOW worked on is just a single core intel 3.2Ghz. Also the other 2 machines I tried TOW on, are dual core machines. So I'm starting to think that it is not a video issue but a CPU problem. With that being said I once got TOW up and running she ran beautifully, and what i've seen so far I like alot.

Thanks

Speedee

please, write in more detail PC config (include audio, ram, monitor), version Win

No problem Fil

My gaming PC :

AMD X2 4800+

Geforce 8800 GTX

X-fi Platinum

2 Gb Corsair pc-3200

Samsung 244T LCD Monitor

The Wife's machine (the one TOW works on)

Intel 3.2Ghz

ATI 9800 Pro

intergrated audio

1.5 Gb pc-3200

ADI 21" CRT monitor

Both are running windows home SP2 with all the latest windows updates. The gaming machine has all the latest drivers and Directx updates as well. The wifes machine hasn't seen any driver or Directx updates in over 6 months.

If there is anything else you need just ask

Speedee

[ April 25, 2007, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Speedee ]

• 2 months later...

I don't seem to have this 'Nvidia Control Panel' screen.

I'm running a Geforce go 6800 on an Intel PentiumĀ® processor 2.00GHZ, 800MHZ, 1GB of Ram.

This is on a Fujitsu Amilo laptop.

Mostly the game won't even start but every now and then the game will run but then lock up after 5-10 minutes (this is on the tutorials only), I want to be sure I like the game beforte investing in the full version.

Anyone know where I can make these 'extension limit' changes?