Two days of trying and I STILL cannot download this game?

I have tried everything--even subscribing to Get Right and I have as yet to succeed in getting this game to download. This is the error I receive (for the third straight time) "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Theater of War\3dobj.SFS An error has occured while trying to copy a file...the source file is corrupted".

This seems almost cruel. i will have the cd in a few days--hopefully--but why am i having these problems?

Hi

Tooz, I am having the same problems, I have downloaded the game seven times with various download managers. But when I try installing the game I get an error at the same point as you. I tried 'ignore' and continued the install but the game wont run. I am at present on my eigth download and I have my brother in law trying to download it as well in case it has something to do with my broadband connection, lol. Otherwise it looks like a long, frustrating wait until they send out the hard copies

Hi asked the server provider to look into this but everything seems to be working right. I am downloading from Europe now with a steady 300 kb/s about the max I can with my hardware). If you are using download managers, you should be able to resume the download if it's not complete. Not sure what else to say :/

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Hi asked the server provider to look into this but everything seems to be working right. I am downloading from Europe now with a steady 300 kb/s about the max I can with my hardware). If you are using download managers, you should be able to resume the download if it's not complete. Not sure what else to say :/

Martin

Maybe send them the CD free of charge?

Hi,

So, after 3 days and 8 attempts I finally downloaded (to the UK) successfully and installed without any problems. I realise now that I wasn't correctly using the download manager for the first 6 tries, so look out for that. I never had to use one before (didn't know such a thing existed). Battlefront should have built their own and included it as part of an automated download process, TRANSPARENT to us as consumers.

However, even the successful attempt took over 9 hours, which is insane in my opinion. Europe takes the blame for many things, but this time I believe we are innocent! Our broadband service isn't that bad.

Now, all I need is a massive patch to fix all the other problems listed in this forum (hopefully downloadable this time) along with a long list of decent user mods to turn this into a semi-historical game of the quality of Combat Mission or IL2. (How could the names behind those excellent titles not get this one right first time??? Until those come out, I'll probably only play with this a bit just to learn the game system.

A few suggesttions:

1. Add the Line of Fire feature from CMBO etc.

2. Add the hull down indicator and 'seek hull down feature' also from CMBO, CMBB etc.

3. Add the 'shoot and scoot' feature.

4. Add waypoints and the ability to select different predefined actions per waypoint.

5. Add the ability for infantry to ride on tanks.

6. Allow infantry to enter buildings!!! How did that get left out???

7. Move the commanders from the default rightmost position in each squad to a point just behind the centre.

8. Add the 'Single File' formation so that a squad can advance along a covered route such as a wall or hedgerow.

9. Allow for the designation of a scout to take the point position in each squad and edit the behaviour of said scout so that he sniffs around a bit before the rest of the squad moves.

10. Program the squads to use 'fire and move' with their integral automatic weapon covering the move of the rifle team. We shouldn't have to do this manually.

11. Look at Faces of War (not a game I like overall) but which has a really nice feature whereby each infantry soldier is allocated a genuine covered position every time a move is ordered.

12. Maybe talk to a few actual soldiers before you do any more coding? Not being rude: it would help you greatly.

I hope Battlefront has a plan to improve on the way it develops and delivers software to the market. If not, your brand is going to become severly tarnished very quickly... HOWEVER, I do like this game. It has the POTENTIAL to be one of the best WW2 titles so far developed. When I saw the grass flying out from under the tank tracks I said 'Ohhhh yes!'

Don't give up and do take our comments as genuine, honest input.

Regards,

/MJ

Thanks Redmarkus, for your comments. We will definitely try to learn from this release and keep improving. This has been our second bigger release using digital delivery technology, and we will be reviewing and tweaking the process.

Battlefront should have built their own and included it as part of an automated download process, TRANSPARENT to us as consumers.
Would love to, but you don't realize how difficult that is. When we looked at options of how to do this we tried out a lot of existing solutions. The solution which forces a certain automated download process is great when it works out of the box, but is a nightmare when not. We decided to not go this route and instead let people use their favored tools. The judgment still is out which is better. The % of support problems, compared to the amount of games sold and downloaded, is still very small, despite what impression some forum posts might make (for a large release obviously the amount of people posting is increased).

But there is much room for improvement, and we will be doing exactly that. 3 days after the release the amount of problems people are reporting has dropped considerably, which is a good sign, but there are still a few unsolved issues which we're tackling.

Martin

PS. Faces of War is by the same developer as TOW if I'm not mistaken.

"tooz, do you have enough free harddrisk space?

Martin"

Moon, yep--way more than enough. Here it is day three and I now get THIS message:

"The Setup Files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program."

So, I guess the new copy would be the CD? What is the anticipated shipping time (I live in Milwaukee)? If I should expect the disk any day now I'll bite the bullet (no pun intended) and wait.

Question is, why did I pay an extra $10 if I could not download anything. Please note that I have successfully downloaded other games to this PC without mishap.

My download took 5+ hours on a 8Mbps cable modem avg D/L speed of 130KB/sec.I am in Canada. My ISP could find no problem with my D/L, no limitations or other problems here at our end. I also had 5 file errors mostly, I believe, hope, pray related to the campaign portion. I used 'ignore' as 'retry' didn't help. The install was problematic too as a result. Two BSOD after which I copied and deleted the demo then reinstalled my video drivers and tried install again.

But I can play the game, so far. I will wait untill my CD arrives before I try a campaign or anything more involved and do a complete re-install like Tooz.

Sgt. Major. Out.

Well, the problem doesn't seem to be on my end. The connection is fine, and I just downloaded a nice mod for Rome: Total War/Barbarian Invasion (called Invasio Barbarorum)without any mishap. Hmmm, Moon, can I just get a $10 credit, voucher or refund and be happy that I have the CD and manual? I will willingly give up the downoad. This bug cost me some sleep, a fight with the wife, and about 30 hours of pure frustration.

Sure hope the game is worth it.

Originally posted by tankibanki:

Maybe someone can email you the campaign missions seperately if that turns out to be the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll wait till my disc arrives and do a new install. Don't rightly know which of the bad files I'd need anyhow :confused:

Sgt. Major. Out.

• 1 year later...