How to host IP if behind a LAN router?

You may want to be more specific on exactly which switch/router you're using (brand and model). Some switch/routers are configured via a webpage (usually starting with the switch/router's IP address). Others may require a serial hookup or a telnet session to configure. Your documentation for the switch should have this info. This is assuming that you're on a small LAN that hooks up to a broadband internet connection like DSL or Cable.

What you want to find is the 'box' that the internet connection hooks up to. These are called routers (at least that is one of the more common uses for them). A switch that only performs network switching on a larger LAN most likely won't have anything you can configure (for the purposes of playing CM). Port forwarding schemes are often used when DHCP is used to assign IP addresses. If you're on a large LAN, then there may be something else that is blocking the port that you may not have control over. A firewall can block the 7023 port since it isn't dedicated to a well known program. In this case you would have to talk to the network admin who has control over the firewall or proxy.

[ April 25, 2002, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I am not an expert on routers but I did solve the problem of hosting a game from a Linksys router via cable. This is the process that I have shared with my friends:

TCP/IP Setup of Linksys Router on RoadRunner Cable for Hosting

1. open your web browser and enter "http://192.168.1.1 in the browser's Address box. ENTER

2. type "admin" in the Password box. OK

3. select the Status tab.

4. make note of the LAN Address and the WAN Address.

5. select the Advanced tab.

6. select the Forwarding tab.

7. type "7023" into the top of left column "Server Port" box.

8. type the last set of numbers of the LAN address into the top of right column "IP Address" box.

9. click APPLY button to save the settings.

10. exit the router and web browser, startup COMBAT MISSION

11. when you setup the TCP/IP game, ignore the IP address given by the game.

12. inform your opponent who is going to connect to of the WAN Address which is your address.

13. when his computer finds your computer via WAN Address, his game messages are forwarded.

14. IGNORE DMZ!!! it doesn't work with this router (at least with CM).

15. This works for my opponent who uses WIN and I am MAC. No compatability problems.

16. Final suggestion: we should all send more money to Big Time for this great game.

Old Sven

I let this one lapse...

The CNSH-800 is strictly a switch. It doesn't provide either DHCP (for automatically assigning IP addresses to clients) nor does it have NAT (Network Address Translation - allows you to use an 'internal' IP address like 192.168.1.x and have several computers use one 'external' IP address). NAT/Firewall is what gets configured for blocking an IP port. Since your CNSH-800 switch has no functionality what-so-ever regarding this, there is no configuration for it.

On CNET's website the FAQ mentions that the CNIG904B or CNIG907BP is used as the DHCP/NAT/Firewall setup to be used in conjunction with the CNSH-800 for sharing a broadband internet connection.

I'm not sure how you're able to share your current DSL connection since each of your computers would have to be assigned an IP from your DSL ISP (that or your DSL modem has DHCP and/or NAT capabilities). If this is the case then the configuration info for the DSL modem is what you would need to reference for unblocking the 7023 port (though most DSL/Cable modems don't perform the function of acting as a firewall).

[ May 02, 2002, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]