display prob.,screen black, desktop shifted-help!

obrian

Got new computer this week. Athlon 1900,

GeForce 3, all the latest drivers are installed, this thing should fly.

Was able to play CM before, but today when I start game I get black screen (can hear sound). I've been able to escape out back to desktop most of the time but the last time it happened the computer was totally locked up and I had to cut power.

Also my desktop screen is now shifted to the right so I have a 1/2" bar of black running down the left.

Rebooting doesn't help.

A related problem which happened earlier: Game loaded but graphics were crap and camera movement stuttered along - not smooth as usual.

Possible culprit:

Loaded a game that came with computer called gunlock. I think problems started up shortly after.

Any ideas how to fix this??

thanks

:(

Which OS and what version of DirectX do you have installed ? Did you run CM on this machine before installing 'gunlock' ? Are there any other DirectX games that you have on this computer ?

Have you attempted to delete the CM Prefs file and select another resolution ? What are the settings in the DirectX Diagnostic under the Display tab (the three primary ones should all be enabled) ?

What motherboard do you have and do you know what chipset it is based on ? You may want to download the chipset drivers, which can affect AGP compatibility and performance (even for XP I believe).

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>