Power cut nearly kills my PC

I was halfway through sending a PBEM file when we sufferred a 30 second power cut. Once I turned the system back on (Win XP Home) I could get nothing to work for ages. I got the Win logon screen and got through to dektop but every time I double clicked an icon etc. the machine just froze. Onle after countless restarts have I been able to get it going again.

I don't find the XP Help/Support much use. There used to be a 'Repair Windows' under Win 98 (IIRC), if indeed that was the problem. Any advice guidance any techies can give in case it happens again (apart from suing the f*****g electric company!!!!!!!!).

That’s the quickest way to have a computer die.

Try the following: while your computer is booting, press the F8 key to enter safe mode.

If the computer enters safe mode and things look fairly “OK” (no hiccups), then start-shutdown-restart. However if your computer still acts weird in safe mode, then you’ll need to start burning cd’s of whatever you cannot afford to lose.

Btw, get a UPS. Buy a named brand like APC.