Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBB video lag

Hi all,

I seem to have a problem with horrible video and game slowdown since installing a wireless network on my rig.

I've followed the advice about setting up the video card prior to installing the network and I've had no issues. It was after installing the network, i.e. wirless router and wirless pci card on my laptop, that I just can't get rid of the slowdown.

Is there an issue with CMBB trying to access the network which is causing this slowdown?

Is the wireless PCI card a PCMCIA card that you can remove (eject out of the socket) ? If so, try that first to see if the presence of that device causes a problem and by removing the device the problem goes away. I would assume that any problems with a network device being present would affect overall performance rather than just CM's performance.

CM itself shouldn't really be accessing the internet. It only does this when you're playing a TCP/IP game. Have you run anti-virus and spyware checkers on your laptop to see if it is infected. Some of these programs will jump on an internet connection and seriously slow down your computer.

Hmm.. that's an interesting issue your getting. I guess one of the questions I would ask is does this only effect cmbb or do you get slowdown etc with every and any game you try? also do you get slow downs with running windows aplications. Either way i'd say make sure your device drivers for the wireless nic being the absolute latest ones.. there may have been some conflicting issue that the latest drivers can fix.

It sounds like your issues are specifically due to the wireless side so I wouldn't bother trying to mess around with spyware and all that jazz.. If you can disable the NIC and everythign speeds up again maybe a quick fix would be to have windows show the little icon in the task bar so you can easily disable it and re-enable it as your needs see fit.

Now .. if your using a mac .. umm .. ignore all the stuff about windows.. and .. umm .. yeh!!

ps. Many smillies were eaten and devoured and otherwise mis-used during the making of this public broadcast .. death to smoochie.. err .. smiley. or sumfink

Hi,

First of all I want to thank you guys for helping me out. I followed both of your advices and removed the wireless card but this did not help. CMBB was the only game experiencing a slowdown.

That got me thinking.... I did do an adaware cleanup and found a data miner which was removed but that didn't help any either. So then I checked my notes and it seems that a while ago I did a windows update. The update included a video card update.

I decided to look for another video driver and found a newer one (I have a GeForce 4 go 440). After the update problem solved.

Sorry that this turned out to be a routine fix but if it wasn't for your help I wouldn't have had my memory jogged and figure out the problem! ;)