CMBO wants to reload when installed already!

Hi, apologies if this has already been covered, but I'm new to CMBO on windows XP. Game is installed and fine, but whenever I pop the cd in to play, that loading screen comes up saying Install wizard/install/repair etc. Why? Even if I :mad: :mad: click the icon fast, it still reappears at the end! I dont remember this happening on windows 98 SE, yet the game was sold for windows XP. Any way to stop it doing this each time please?

never heard of this, but what do i know. did you upgrade to xp or are you installing on a new computer? if an upgrade, you may have to uninstall and reinstall. if you have lots of mods and downloaded stuff, you could move your bmp and scenario folders somewhere safe first. same with any saved games or pbem. then copy the folders over the new install folders.

or wait for a better answer.

I assume that what you're seeing is the 'autoplay' feature of Windows (which is has been available since Windows 95). This may have been disabled in your Windows 98SE installation.

The autoplay feature (actually it is the code on the CD that is run by autoplay) doesn't know whether you have installed CMBO already or not - it doesn't check. You can ignore the attempt to install and just cancel it.

You can turn off autoplay in Windows XP, but Microsoft (in their 'infinite wisdom') decided to make it much harder to do. This Microsoft Knowledgebase article is actually about turning autoplay ('autorun') back on in the registry. A little logic will allow you to turn off this feature. However that means any other CD you insert doesn't start up automatically.

[ June 01, 2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]