Three things you want most in addon

Sneaksie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.. did some research, to be more precise on smarter forms of artillery.

As for the German Panzerartillery there seem to be six standard fire missions.

"Feuerüberfall" (later "Kampfsatz")

- strafe, surprise fire

"Störungsfeuer"

- harassing fire

"Blenden"

- laying down smoke screen, dirt screen

"Zerstörungsfeuer"

- destruction fire, fire for effect

"Vernichtungsfeuer"

- annihilating fire

"Sperrfeuer"

- curtain fire, preventive barrage

If some of those could be implemented in later versions of TOW, it would be great. Technically it should not be to difficult (correct me if I am wrong).

Originally posted by Egon:

.. did some research, to be more precise on smarter forms of artillery.

As for the German Panzerartillery there seem to be six standard fire missions.

"Feuerüberfall" (later "Kampfsatz")

- strafe, surprise fire

"Störungsfeuer"

- harassing fire

"Blenden"

- laying down smoke screen, dirt screen

"Zerstörungsfeuer"

- destruction fire, fire for effect

"Vernichtungsfeuer"

- annihilating fire

"Sperrfeuer"

- curtain fire, preventive barrage

If some of those could be implemented in later versions of TOW, it would be great. Technically it should not be to difficult (correct me if I am wrong).

Interesting material Ergon. This would be nice to delve into in a bit more detail in perhaps a stand alone thread. What was the original source?

Yes, read about that, too (German term is "Feuer vorverlegen"). I think this is more a job for the static regimental artillery (offmap artillery in the game). I guess Munzel referred to the organic, mobile artillery elements of a combat team ("Kampfgruppe"), like the Hummel and Wespe or 81 and 120 mm mortars.

Great. Thanks Ergon

Originally posted by Egon:

I think this is more a job for the static regimental artillery (offmap artillery in the game).

Yes -- Agreed. This is something that requires a fair bit of preplanning and -- at least in the case of the British, would probably only be useable at the start of a scenario depicting the begining of a rather big push. For example the first few hours of Goodwood the VIII Corps advance was proceeded by a walking barrage.

A player placed in the role of Company or Platoon commander (ala TOW) would typically have little or no control over preplanned fires such as a walking barrage involving the coordination mutiple batteries or even multiple battalions or regiments of artillery. But of course that is not something most players would want in their game. They require full control over many aspects of a battlefield for which in reality they would exercise absolutely no control.

In terms of game applications of walking barrages, I suspect this wouldn't be much fun for the player on the receiving end. But modeling artillery effects and employment of indirect artillery within tactical wargames always seem to be such a chore for game designers. This is particularly true of material effects\destructive potential against entrenched troops. Operational assessments often point to the morale effects rather than destructive effects of prelim barrages on entrenched troops. The morale effect should be applicable both in terms of bucking-up morale of troops watching the enemy positions getting pounded, as well as acting to lower the morale of the side getting the pounding. Conversely game effects of artillery are most often limited to purely destructive effects; inflicting casualties or destroying equipment.

But this is so far a field from the original topic I suppose it's best to move on, or open a new thread.

[ October 31, 2007, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Duquette ]

1. Boats for engineers to cross rivers. Engineers as a unit.

2. Flame throwers for engineers teams

3. Up close view for sniper unit, to see what they are seeing, or zoom for recon unit.

(Creating and naming of small units)

recon squad, etc.

[ November 21, 2007, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Red Barron ]

1- Quick mission generator

2- Display terrain cover/concealment type for a unit. This would help to identify whether a unit is actually behind cover (tree, rock, etc.) or not.

3- Add more autonomy to the AI. Allow them to "think" more and adjust to situations on their own.