Smoke graphics - video settings/card compatability

Help! Have just got the game and installed it. Superb - but one query. My graphics card is a Voodoo 3 3000 and when the game loaded the first time I got the 'accept' message for 1024x768 and it inidicated 'primary display driver' (which I assume is correct as no other display driver shows up under drivers). The driver version is 1.5.1.54. The card is 16M and should be able to run most of the graphics OK I think.

However, when I run the game using 'fast and compatible' smoke effects they look quite good if a little 'plumy', but it does look like smoke. When I run the realistic smoke it looks OK but seems to come up looking like square semi transparent windows which looks less realistic than the 'f&c' smoke. Is that how it looks on everyone's system? If it does - fine, if not I need to know what to do to 'up the realism' or if my card is one of the ones not compatible with relaistic smoke (can someone post a screenshot of what full blown realistic smoke looks like so I can compare?). When I go to Voodoo 'Tweaks' under 'display' in 'control panel' it is set to 'desktop', should it be set to Direct 3D or Open/GL?

I searched on the forum and have seen many similar queries but not found whether problems were resolved. Presumably it must be a driver or settings related problem. I know people post about driver problems however and if it is the driver I would prefer one that works OK.

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 03-03-2001).]

I'm not familiar with the 3dfx internal numbering of the driver. But I'd check 3dfx's website (which NVidia still has up) and get the latest driver. I thought that the "blocky" smoke problem had been resolved for the Voodoo 3 series, but I'm not sure.

CM is a DirectX game and doesn't utilize OpenGL (OpenGL is only an issue for the video drivers that share libraries between DirectX and OpenGL - I haven't really seen much of this on the PC). OpenGL settings for the Voodoo or other video cards typically shouldn't have any affect on DirectX games like CM. The following downloads assume that you're running Win9x or ME.

3dfx website (go to "Voodoo3 2000/3000 - Win9x" section, v. 1.07.00):

http://www.3dfx.com/downloads.htm

I don't know if the DirectX version you're running will make any difference in what you're seeing on the screen.

Microsoft DirectX 8.0a:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=27741

Thanks for the site ref., I'll give it a spin. Presumably it will be zipped and will install itself on unzipping. I just want to make sure I can get the old driver back if it crashes.

There are three settings under the Voodoo control panel 'Desktop', 'Direct 3D' and Open GL/Glide. It is currently set to 'desktop' (though I haven't a clue what it actually means) and am not sure whether to switch it to Direct 3D. I hesitate from trying because I don't want to have to reboot the system with new settings and agian, find I can get back.

I don't have a Voodoo here to reference, but those "settings" you mentioned. If you select the "DirectX" I assume that it should display controls/settings to modify the DirectX features that the Voodoo supports.

In case of problems or other incompatibilities, I'd highly suggest finding a backup of your current drivers. The 3dfx site used to have a number of the previous releases available for download, but it looks like NVidia has nixed the old versions in favor of the last one available. Reactorcritical has some previous (but not many) driver versions up. There is also a BETA driver posted from Feb 1, 2001 which might be worth trying.

Reactorcritical (go to Voodoo 3 section):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

Perhaps a stupid question but should I be able to copy the current drivers across to another directory? Also, I've read a thread somewhere that indicated that the new drivers may just be installed in the list and you can then select the older one if needed (or have I read this wrong)? I'm OK with most things on PCs but I'm a bit paranoid about driver changes.

You'll want an "installable" copy of the drivers. Otherwise you'll be searching for the .infs, vxds, drvs, etc. in your system. Because many of the driver files may have the same file names, you probably won't be able to switch the drivers by simply selecting them from a list. If your previous .INF file remains on the system, you'll see the "driver" listed, but you would have to provide the directory to copy the files from if you changed back to the older driver. So you'll want to search your system (or maybe it's on a 3dfx CD) for your current driver's installation file.

Thanks for all the info. Ready yo give it a try I think. The fitter is here next week to put a phone point in allowing desktop to connect to the net. At moment it's laptop only. I've downloaded drivers and DX8 so I may have a bash at cable connection transfer. The last time I did that though it took AGES to copy across (the Shogun patch). Hopefully not this time but the files are 10M and 8M each. If direct cable transfer is always this slow I'm surprised anyone bothers with it.

I've just been up to check the machines and they are making REALLY hard work of it. 20 minutes ago I started to copy across DX8. It said '49 minutes remaining, it now says 41!! I presume I'm doing it right, make the connection, enter passworkd for host (laptop), shared folder appears on desktop, open folder, edit/select all (voodoo driver and DX8 Zip files), select destination on desktop then 'paste'. It'll be all night at this rate. Slow or what.

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 03-06-2001).]

What are you using for the cable connection, a parallel/serial port ? Microsoft seems to have a notorious problem "telling time" when it comes to downloads and "will be completed in..." - standard fare unfortunately.

If you're using a parallel or serial connection for your "direct cable connect", then you may want to look at your settings for your ports or the type of parallel port each has (i.e. - ECP, EPP or SPP(standard)). Any mismatched settings may cause data transfer delays.

It's a dual plug cable with 'split ends', one serial (9 pin?) and one paralell (longer?) on each end. As to whether it's ECP/SPP I am not sure, how do I tell? It took four hours to transfer 17M - is that reasonable?

As for the port settings, again I'm not sure. I probably need to sort this out as it may affect LAN play. I presume there are settings for this under 'cable connection' somewhere. I'll have a look later and see.

And at last.....Voodoo 3 drivers now updated to 1.07.00. Now, in the Readme file it went through installation and then said 'now install DirectX 7'. I already had DX 8 on the system however (I did that first). I checked the DX Dialogue file and there is and indication that 'Voodoo driver blah blah blah' is not certified. I'm not sure if that will pose problems or whether I should revert to DX7, which presumably will be certified as 3Dfx told me to install it.

The game now runs fine however (full smoke and explosion graohics). I believe the 'muzzle flash' (shockwave) from firing tanks etc. is in the form of an expanding and disapearing transluscent globe, that's what I get anyway.

Thanks for your time so far BTW - great help.

Sounds like the video driver is just fine. A lot of video drivers come up uncertified for DirectX (it's almost not worth the time to have Microsoft certify the drivers). The graphics you describe sound correct so you shouldn't need to do anything further with your video driver and DirectX.

As for your direct cable connection. It sounds like you have a "laplink" serial cable that has dual heads to accomodate 9 or 25 pin serial ports (both connectors on the cable should be female). If the connections on your cable are male then you have a parallel cable. With the serial cable you default settings for the serial port may be 9600 baud. To change this (your other settings sound fine since you're able to actually transfer the file) go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > Ports (COM & LPT) Device (double-click) > select the port that you're hooked up to (COM 1, COM 2, etc.) and double-click > Port Settings tab > Change the Bits per Second setting to something higher (like 115200). Both computers will need to be set to this same setting. Some older machine's serial hardware may not be able to handle such a high serial rate, so you may have to experiment.

I'm not sure how well a "direct cable connection" will work for a Network game. TCP/IP is the necessary protocol (which is a protocol that direct cable connection can use to my knowledge) for CM, however it still may not work. Network cards for desktops can be purchased inexpensively, however PC Card network adapters can cost a bit more (some 10/100 no-name brands may cost around US$70 or so - better ones are quite a bit more expensive).

Many thanks. Your help has been MUCH appreciated. Both plugs are female, serial then. What about the EPP bit or doesn't that matter? I was considering one of the wireless network systems of the market which would enable play between laptop in lounge and desktop in (home) office. I only really use networking with my son for gaming so don't want to go to the trouble of wiring the house for it. The cable works fine with Age of Empires I/II.

I read somewhere that the game can be run as a clone on one machine to join in a hosted game (which will need the CD) on another. I think that is possible (and legal). Also, I always, always, always, where possible make a backup to run games with and put original away. I presume that is possible with CM and is just a case of putting CD into a system with a CD RW and hitting 'copy'.

The EPP/ECP bit doesn't apply since those are settings for parallel ports.

Launching one system (the server) and removing the CDROM and launching another computer (the client) is called "spawning" and BTS approves of it for head-to-head play of CM. I haven't tried it myself, but I had heard others saying that CM couldn't be played via 'direct cable connection'. I'm not sure if this reference was strictly in terms of a serial flow control only protocol connection or if TCP/IP being implemented over the serial connection was still a "no go".

A network card would definitely be a lot faster. Wireless cards can be quite expensive however (I haven't looked them up, but it would be several hundred dollars I believe - wireless hub, wireless PC Card and a wireless dongle for the desktop, which will need a standard network adapter too). Assuming that there isn't a lot of interference in your area, it should work in a home setting. Depending on how close you are to each other a "cross-over cable" (wired so you can hook up directly from network adapter to network adapter without a hub in between - but won't work if you need more than two computers hooked up) solution is the cheapest route to go. The wiring doesn't have to be permanent, but you probably won't want anyone tripping on it and yanking the laptop to the floor or damaging its RJ45 adapter.

Depending on your CDRW recording software you may need to make a "direct" copy of the CM CDROM ("whole disk" copy). On Windows systems one of the scenario files has a name that is considered "improper" - and there may be other recording gimmicks to reduce copying of the CDs.

I believe you can go up to 300 feet with twisted pair ethernet, but you'll want it shorter than that (less than 100'). I'd suggest purchasing cable that is rated "Cat 5" or better. Usually (though not always) the category rating will be printed on the cable sheath itself.

Most of the premade cables you'll find in the stores will be 50' or usually quite a bit less.