replaying the campaign

CAS

Thanks for the patch!

My game (and saves) are more stable and i like the improvements.

It did not come as an surprise to me that I have to replay my campaign but I hoped for a new feature to retreat if a battle goes wrong.

This way you could keep some of your good units without winning the map. As it is you have to play the same map again and again and again until you win.(if you do not feel like sending every soldier into certain death)

Madmatt can we at least get a cheat to trigger the endmission trigger?????

Thanks for the quick reply!

This file is not really what I am looking for.

I am looking for a way to be allowed to loose a battle while saving some of my units.

This "user profile file" must have some random units and I would like to keep my own.

I think the game will simply allow you to go back to the previous saved game before you started the mission if you exit out won't it? Doesn't the game autosave when you start a mission?

Or do you want something that will hold you accountable for any mistakes or losses you have suffered previous to executing the retreat option you are envisioning?

Or do you want something that will hold you accountable for any mistakes or losses you have suffered previous to executing the retreat option you are envisioning?
Exactly!

I want a more realistic campaign where you do not have to win every battle or loose all your men before you are allowed to proceed.

A retreat feature (or endmission trigger cheat) would do the trick.

It's there in the English version, 'ignore campaign loss' if I remember correctly - it's in one of the game option menus.

By the way, if you look at the campaign files you'll see there's an entry for which mission to go to if you win and which one to go to if you lose so some sort of branching campaign would be possible.

Have fun

Finn

I know the "ignore campaign loss" option, but you can only loose a mission when all your troops are killed and that´s the problem.

For example if all your tanks are low on ammunition or immobilised and there is a enemy tank remaining.

As it is now you have two options:

1) reload the mission (i hate that)

2) tell all your troops to disembark and commit suicide with the help of the enemy tanks until there is nowbody left and only then you are allowed to end the mission and accept you defeat.

what I want is option 3:

3) I recognize the stalemate and retreat my troops happy to have saved some of them and to be able to use them in the missions to come. All that even though I did not reach the mission objectives.

This way it would be possible to play the whole campaign by playing every mission only once!

In my eyes this would add a lot of tension. Your dead heroes are dead forever and will not be saved by a magic reload.

I agree. This was brought up immediatly after the release, I still haven't seen any developer or BFC-rep saying anything about it.

Being able to retreat individual units off the map and/or ending the battle whitout having to replay it, would do a lot to improve the immersion of a campaign. Those were and are key-features of the CC-games. I can't imagine them being impossible to have in TOW. I too, hate having to replay missions.

Madmatt,

any chance to see this in a patch?

It would make a huge difference in form of realism and should not be time consuming to implement.

For the mean time I would be happy with a end mission cheat.

You could create an exit map routine using the editor, I've done it in a test mission I created where a convoy of trucks drive to s spot on the edge of the map and then disappear to simulate "exiting the map". However, I don't know how this would affect units after the battle is over. I don't know if they would still be available in the roster or considered lost (which would defeat the purpose).

You can still do things like build-in a script routine which ends the mission once a certain level of casualties are reached, but that still wouldn't be the same as a button you could press at any time in the GUI, which is what it sounds like you are interested in.

Originally posted by Flypatcher:

Madmatt,

any chance to see this in a patch?

It would make a huge difference in form of realism and should not be time consuming to implement.

For the mean time I would be happy with a end mission cheat.

Bump.