units dont follow commands

scottie

i ran the combat tactics training mission and found it difficult to get units to stop moving forward. Every time i tell them to stop, they did for a bit before moving forward again without my instrucitons. Its not even like they were looking for cover as the 3 tanks in the mission went headlong straight for the enemy trench.

Found this very annoying. I like to be in total control of my units for the most part. I understand then sneaking into shelter if they were under fire like CMAK but ahhhhhh first impressions not great for me.

interesting, im certainly using the STOP command ... i guess i need more training.

What is the theory behing having a STOP command if HOLD POSITION actually stops them and keeps them there ?

Why does stop mean they go charging off to the objective on there own inititive after 'x'time ?

How do they know what the objective is ? im might change it ?

interesting, im certainly using the STOP command ... i guess i need more training smile.gif

What is the theory behing having a STOP command if HOLD POSITION actually stops them and keeps them there ?

Why does stop mean they go charging off to the objective on there own inititive after 'x' amount of time ?

How do they know what the objective is ? i might change it mid battle depeding on the flow of what is going on ?

how do they know what direction to charge at ? .... anyone that fires at them ?

is this a realism angle or something ?

could argue case both ways for taking cover or approaching fire positions under own planning without user control i guess .... but its still annoying.

Think of 'stop' more of a 'cancel order' than a 'stop moving' command and you'll see the difference. The stop command's handy for canceling area fire commands and the like but not much else. Always use the hold position command if that's what you want your troops to do, otherwise they'll tend to head towards the action. As squads have soldiers with a mix of abilities (experience, rank, etc) they respond differently and that completely blows any unit cohesion out the window. After a while you get used to issuing hold orders as a reflex, and then it's not a problem - but it's a bit of unnecessary micromanagement I could do without.

Have fun

Finn

I agree. I think that hold position should have been the default behavior in the game. I think that the developers were trying to eliminate some of the micromanagement in the game by allowing AI controlled units to "do their own thing" without intervention from the player.

Ultimately though you just end up trying to keep them from doing something stupid, which requires more micromanagement.