How to get Snipers?

Richtschuetze

They come in staff infantry units atleast. I haven't seen individual snipers in the unit roster, but of course you can detach the sniper from the squad and give him individual orders when you are in game.

You're not going to like me then! In my German infantry mod the main gameplay affecting thing that I'm doing is splitting units into teams that work together on the battlefield. As a sniper typically doesn't have a colonel sitting 5m behind him I'm taking the sniper out of my staff squads (stock squads will still be in there).

Points values for infantry are all over the place IMO, further down the line I'm going to get points into the database I'm using to create the new squads and you can bet snipers will be one of the more expensive units! Personally I think they're a bit overpowered for whatever reason at the moment.

Have fun

Finn

How do you 'buy' units ie. the staff squad unit

I have only seen it once in the German campaign, although Im only up to the '41 Moscow battle.

When you say 'buy' do you mean transfer from reserves to fighting force? I havent seen any options for purchasing units

Am I missing something?

Yep (and I guess you'll know this already, but just in case), each unit has a points value and you get a total points allocation per battle. If you move a unit from reserves into the fighting force it comes from your remaining points, and the reverse is true if you move from your fighting force to the reserves. As you refer to a 'points cost' it's usual to call it 'buying'. Maybe it's a wargaming thing rather than a computer gaming thing.

Have fun

Finn

Originally posted by FinnN:

Points values for infantry are all over the place IMO, further down the line I'm going to get points into the database I'm using to create the new squads and you can bet snipers will be one of the more expensive units! Personally I think they're a bit overpowered for whatever reason at the moment.

Have fun

Finn

I have to agree they are pretty powerful units. The only thing that balances them is the toning down of the importance of infantry in the game as it stands. In an infantry heavy scenario, though, they could be very decisive. They should be expensive (or toned down a bit).

Well, funny you should mention that...my initial plan is to get my database of infantry finished, complete with graphics and availability in the game. I'm a little behind on the database, but it's getting there - I now have the initial set of data in in a decent structure, just needs a friendly interface on top to keep it easy to organise/modify.

My next project is a bit more ambitious though, I'm going to be adding an OOB section to the database with the intention with making a mission editor helper. You'll can select an operation (eg Ardennes'44) and can then drill down through the units historically available and select them. It'll then export a blank mission file with the units and placeholders in so that the designer has a bit of a head start. From there it shouldn't be a million miles away to extend it to a quick battle generator, and from there a full campaign generator. All this is a long, long way down the road but I'm fairly confident it'll be possible - if not by me then someone else.

Have fun

Finn