New Cinematic Mission Posted - HT Assault

SlapHappy

This is an example battle which shows off some scripting capabilities with the editor. This is meant to be watched more than played - although it is possible to intervene in the script with your own orders. Illustrates a German Armored Infantry attack on a Russian trenchline.

Get it at www.cmmods.com

[ June 01, 2007, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: SlapHappy ]

Nice mission, very interesting to watch. I think you need to work on your assault skills though, all the German infantry got mown down before they got anywhere near the trench and two of the halftracks got too close and knocked out by grenades. They won in the end anyway, as the soviets panicked and the last halftrack hunted them down.

I think the idea of mechanised assaults like this is that you deposit your infantry in the flanks or rear of the enemy lines (and pray that they don't have any AT guns/tanks - as they always have several with interlocking firing arcs in the stock campaigns I haven't experimented much with this sort of tactic).

Have fun

Finn

Thanks for the input. I was just trying to get the basic idea in place. I think if the HT's were scripted to move in from the flanks, it would be more effective as well. I have run the script several times and the Russians win more often than not. Or, Better yet send one HT from the front and ofload there, while the two others go behind the trench and do the same. That way you have triangular assault.

I think it's interesting that you can run one basic script and get different outcomes each time. In most games, scripting means a predictable outcome to the event.

Mooyman

I never scripted in the victory conditions as I wanted the scenario to play itself out to the fullest extent possible.

I mostly made it for my amusement and to also actually see if it could be done.

A couple of things I learned from this:

1. Unloading infantry is a mini-script animation. If you do while under heavy fire, expect disaster. The soldiers will not fight back and always seem to put themselves directly in the line of fire.

2. Crew-served vehicle weapons are not aggressive about firing on enemy when under AI rather than direct control. I drove the HT manually up near a manned trench. The gunner fired sporadically at best. When given direct orders he would fire consistently at a target with a very high kill rate. This needs to be looked at. Is it possible the multiple targets confuses AI control?

3. ROF of MG's is pretty pathetic. Plus there needs to be more of a separation between the effectiveness of HMG's and LMG's in the game. Right now their effects are both pretty blah....

4. Infantry are much more effective entrenched and not moving than on the assault. Mostly it heavily increases their rate of fire. Even with rifles. This is probably accurate, thus not a whine, but an observation. Also light armor assaulting trenches best respect those grenades! Heh Heh.

5. Still need a way for infantry to use vehicular cover better, on the move or otherwise. Most of the assaulting infantry get killed before they can establish a good base of fire and help out suppressing the entrenched enemy. Assaulting troops are only really effective within a very short distance to the trenchline, where they tend to go prone and use grenades heavily. Still would be really cool if they did the Hollywood thing by running up to the edge of the trench and spraying it down with an SMG. Oh well, I guess in the add-on ;)