[Review] Theatre of War on Inside Hotwire 3D

flintlock

No cover they say, no ambushes possible they say ?

Funny thing !

So how do i ambush and kill 3 Konigstiger, and some suport panzer 3 or 4, with 3 T34 and a SU85 from close range and side shots without losing a tank, only a t34 with gun disabled ?

Or how do i kill a wave of elefants in the kursk cenario with 5 t34, against elefants and tigers and whatever ?

Well, i made it, and i used cover.

One of the things you gotta look at is that the reviews have been fairly consistent. They come in fair to good. What is interesting is that RTS oriented reveiwers give it mediocre scores and wargame reviewers give it mediocre scores. It says to me what I have thought all along and that is TOW falls between the two genres and does not really hook hardcores on either side.

While SimHQ hasn't given its review yet, posts from the guy reviewing it lead to the same thing.

Originally posted by thewood:

TOW falls between the two genres and does not really hook hardcores on either side.

It certainly has managed to hook me quite successfully.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool wargamer at heart. I generally don't enjoy the RTS genre as I can't seem to appreciate frantic click fests, which unfortunately, I've found most RTS titles to be. Theatre of War manages to strike a skillful balance. Admittedly, whilst battles may get a little intense--I never feel that I've lost control to the point where I need to put the durablity of my left mouse button to an extreme stress test. Overall, I find the game to be an immersive and enjoyable gaming experience.

One observation I've made is that some players appear not to give the game much chance. After a short time playing, they quickly decide they don't like it and simply dismiss it outright without getting to know some of ToW's more subtle nuances.

With upcoming content and bug fix patches, I'm confident that things stand only to improve further.

I agree with you Flintlock. I also enjoy wargames mostly. I have played many rts games and find that while I do enjoy them, it isn't because of a clickfest. I hate clickfests as well. I find them annoying and exhausting. I find that I try to play them in a methodical way. It isn't easy sometimes and I realise it wouldn't work with anything but an AI opponent.

Soooo thats why I found TOW such a nice fit as I already strive to play slow and methodical with rts games already. The best plus is that it is a wargame too! So I find it fits my taste well.