tech help needed

About a week ago I got a new FIC AD11 mobo. Most of the time when I put in an AGP card nothing happens(power lights come on but no display) sometimes the mobo just gives me one of those 'no vga' beeps. But a few times the AGP's have worked..til the computer was turned off, when I turn it back on nothing happens.

Anyway I've got two AGP cards(Aopen Geforce2 MX, and an S3 card) and they both do the same thing. I've been diagnosing it for the past week and I have no idea what's causing it.

I've been having to play CM on my old PCI voodoo card, please help. :confused: :mad:

There doesn't seem to be any compatibility warnings from FIC regarding 32Mb AGP cards with the AD11 motherboards (Socket A). What CPU and how much wattage is the power supply that you're using ?

Athlon/Duron/Thunderbird CPUs typically need a lot of current (at 3.3V). The same goes for AGP cards with a lot of memory. It's possible that your AGP card may be too much for your current power supply. You definitely want a power supply with 300W or more, though I've seen AMD's with 32Mb video cards work with 235/250W power supplies.

It's also possible that some of the AGP-related settings in your CMOS/BIOS may be causing problems when you insert an AGP video card. What version of the BIOS and what revision of the motherboard do you have ? You can typically find the revision either silk-screened (painted) near the FIC model designation on the motherboard or it may often be near the keyboard connection (possibly written in a metal layer of the board itself).

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

Your power supply should be sufficient to run both the Duron and an AGP video card. You have the latest rev. (or next to latest) of the motherboard and your BIOS is one version back from the latest (though I can't tell the difference between your current BIOS and the supposed latest version).

How well seated are the AGP video cards when you install them ? Is there a retaining clip on the AGP slot that clips onto the video card when it's fully seated ?

You may want to check your CMOS/BIOS settings for the AGP-related settings. VIA chipsets have a 'driving value' for AGP video cards (just checked your 'northbridge' is actually an AMD chip). Usually the default value should work, but maybe it's set to some manual value or something else that isn't working with your cards. You may also want to check your AGP slot for any sort of 'debris' in the slot that may prevent the AGP card from making complete contact with all of the contacts within the slot. As a last resort you could 'clear the CMOS' or 'Load Default Settings' to see if this helps or not. However you will revert back to the default settings which may be a bit different from your current settings (you would need to redetect the hard drive and check your I/O settings among other things).

Though it isn't a factor with your particular problem at the moment, you will want to install the VIA chipset driver (for IDE & PCI) and the AMD chipset driver (memory & AGP).

VIA Chipset drivers (audio for 686B is here too)

AMD Chipset drivers

look real close while plugging in the AGP card...every AGP card i've gotten so far has the little arm you screw into the case just a tad too low, not allowing the card to plug in all the way...the workaround i've been using is to bend that arm back, but then you can't screw in the card and have to be careful playing around with it.

Another thing to check (and it may neot be relevant for your board) - is there a vieo chipset already on your motherboard (with a 15 pin VGA connector as part of the board)? If so, you may need to change the jumper settings on your board to disable the onboard video. Normally this is not required, the BIOS should switch to the AGP automagically. But just something else to look at.

OGSF