No Hedgegrows in Normandy

Nikki Mond

I'm into the 3rd battle of the allied camp. Noticed the Normandy portion such as St Lo did not have the famous signature hedge lines. I am not a big stickler for map accuracy, but this was part of the terrain that greatly effected the tactics in the region. I also played the german camp and found the initial east front maps non- distinct from the west front.

Something for an addon maybe is to revamp the historical look of the maps, and add terrain shadows.

I agree. The missions included in the game are not historically designed. They are still fun and I'm learning the in and outs of the game but historical accuracy will have to come from the MOD community (I hope).

I do hope Battlefront/1C will make an effort to provide greater authenticity in the expansion pack they're planning for next fall.

In the meantime, I must persevere!

Originally posted by Freeboy:

no hedgerow, I am hoping we get a tall bush to add in the edditor and simulate hr

Well the bushes that are in the game already would work pretty well for Normandy if they were layed contiguously inline and thick.

And yes edgge its still fun

I wonder if the Hedgerows would be able to be made. I mean that they were very difficult or impossible for a vehicle to cross in many cases and would track a tank. The enemy would also get a belly shot into any tank that tries as they are crossing over the top. Obviously infantry can cross them. Infantry would also get a huge cover bonus as they are actually embankments of earth and stone with trees and bushes growing out of them. At least that's how I understand them to be. Some U.S. tanks were equiped with "Dozer" blades or "Cullin hedgerow cutters" and they could cut a path through the hedgerow/obstacle fairly easily.

I wonder how one would "mod" something like that. I mean if you can't make them realistic then why bother? Make it crossable with Infantry only? Unless you have a tank with a cutter/dozer blade set up. I suppose it would be doable. Sounds like a huge undertaking to me and if you don't make them as formidable obstructions as they actually were then you merely have rows of bushes and trees with no cover and very little concelement. That would be completely ahistorical and completely unrealistic, so I say again, why bother?

I hope someone can actually make this in an addon or mod, truly. smile.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by FinnN:

Well, there are walls and fences.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both of which cannot be climbed or jumped over.

Good point about the crossing an obstacle that "should" be crossable. I don't think hedgerows would be modable in this game.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this, I've only played the first battle (numerous times, just so I can get grips with the game), and was very dissappointed to see no hedgerow country in Normandy. Where's the cover for the infantry and the defensive hedgerow criss-crossing of German MG's.

I think that the main objective of this game, at least at the beggining, was to focus in Eastern Front. The game is Russian after all. Maybe Western maps and terrain particularities hasn't got the same attention.

I hope that new terrain types and map improvements are added in the future.