Gameplay

Sandbag69

tried out the Demo of TOW.

Play slows down considerably when a decent number of objects are in battle map. Turned down/off all settings that may slow down the game and it helped a bit.

Must say that TOW has potential but is still quite a bit short from what I expected. I had been keeping my eye on this game for years.

Can't believe how enemy AI can shoot tanks on the reverse slopes of hills in Demo with such accuracy.

Also the IL2 map is notoriously difficult to edit so will be surprised if a Map Editor release happens or is useful.

I will keep playing TOW demo to see if I can make game play more interesting.

It was some way short of what I expected too, (various issues to do with the AI and LOS issues spoilt the experience for me, but it does have tremendous potential. It'll be worth keeping an eye on to see what's addressed in the patches and what the effect is.

I have a Pentium 4, 3.0 GHZ, 1 gig ram, and navidia 6600. With trees turned to medium, water to medium, grass to medium,sky detail lowered, and shadows gone, game works smooth for me. Though missions when you get hit by 3 waves of enemies can make it slow down a bit.

I just can't enjoy this game while the AI can see anything hidden. They just need to mod it into a naval game then all will be well. Seriously though, fix this and the game will be much better. I know you said you are looking at fixing it, but I implore you to hurry lest you will find many of your loyal consumers have gone elsewhere.

-

You should definitely read the official thread about the upcoming patches.

The Devs are working on some LOS tool. And many other things. Not to mention more pressing issues related to hardware conflicts with the game. It should be released any time soon.

I have an Athlon 64 3500+, GForce 6600 GT.

The game runs smooth. When there are many tanks in some battles and everybody is firing it slows down for sure though.

Personally I don't think there is a problem with LOS. The AI can't see anything hidden. It depends on the scout settings of the troops. This defines how well they can spot the enemy. I can hide my troops and AT if I put them in the right places, most of the time. The terrain is pretty flat though in almost all the maps with not many obstacles to block LOS and this is a bit unrealistic in my opinion.

i got a e6600 and and 2gigs of mem @800mhz , a 8800gtx vid and all is high and everything runs smoothly even with many units.

Only thing is when i put 2 cpu's ill get also **** fps but on one cpu it rocks.

Originally posted by Webwing:

-

Personally I don't think there is a problem with LOS. The AI can't see anything hidden. It depends on the scout settings of the troops. This defines how well they can spot the enemy. I can hide my troops and AT if I put them in the right places, most of the time. The terrain is pretty flat though in almost all the maps with not many obstacles to block LOS and this is a bit unrealistic in my opinion.

Dont agree. In the demo my Nashorn was blown to bits on the reverse slope of the hill almost as soon as it appeared. Indirect Shooting was deadly accurate and all but slaughtered my reserves.

I have a P4 2.8Ghz 1.5GB Ram 2 Serial ATA drives Striping for faster access and a Nvidia Geforce 6800GS.

Runs smooth in demo until the shooting starts.

Have turned down the settings and still is slow. I have to pause game every few seconds to have some control over what is happening.

Hopefully this will be sorted soon.

Maybe I need to invest in more RAM.

Originally posted by Sandbag69:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Webwing:

-

Dont agree. In the demo my Nashorn was blown to bits on the reverse slope of the hill almost as soon as it appeared. Indirect Shooting was deadly accurate and all but slaughtered my reserves. </font>

I totally agree. It' incredible how amazingly accurate the gay AI is.

IF you buy the game and play german campaign. first campaign you can put all 4 of your pz35's and 38's against 1 french tank. And you will have to save before battle cause that one french tank can whoop 4 on 1. It happened to me 3 times today same senario. And the sad thing is, on the 3rd try I just tried to track that one tank (and there was no one else that could hit me cause i was behind a hill). Tried to track that one tank and NOPE. but he killed all my tanks.

AMAZING AI....I think i won't play german, russian, american or british. I will just play AI. Cuase it seems they are amazing players. LOS isn't calculated. Trees are there but invisible to teh AI. Shoot....AI even knows when infantry is hiding in a trench that has been hiding all game prone, and it knows to keep it's barrel trained on the guy. Even though he's 4 feet below the surface in a trench. AI has trench sense (it's the 7th sense, right after the 6th one) This game's breath smells like donkey balls.

Have turned down the settings and still is slow.
I noticed frame rate suffering when there were lots of units. I tried turning down several different settings (draw distance for trees, various detail levels, etc.). Until I turned off shadows I didn't notice much improvement. Turning off shadows allowed me to turn most things back to max.

3 Ghz Intel

2 GB RAM

Geforce 7600 GS