Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Replay timer funkiness

Guest ckoharik

Guest ckoharik

Alrighty, just finished transferring my friends Combat Mission to his new Dell 2100 system. However, testing has revealed something unusual that I have never seen. When replaying a turn, if fast forward is hit the timer suddenly jumps to anywhere from 1400 to 2600 and then starts counting backwards. Hitting rewind returns it to 0. Letting it play through without any intervention seems to work fine. I've already reinstalled it once. All the drivers are up to date. I'm stumped (and tired). Any and all help would be appreciated.

I did forget to mention. Full CM install with 1.12 patch installed. Nothing else, yet.

Specs:

Dell Dimnesion 2100

Celeron 1.1GHz

384MB PC133

20GB Drive

Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 card (21.83 drivers)

Soundblaster PCI64 sound card

Linksys 10/100 NIC

Some modem or other

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Panzer Boxb ]</p>

Guest ckoharik

Well, as I have been unable to fix this problem I decided to do another test. A brand spanking new Dell Inspiron 8100 (1.1GHz w/ GeForce GO video) running Windows ME. Installed and tested both before and after 1.12 patch and the exact same thing happens on this system too. The only thing I can think of is sometime to do with the combo of WinME and Nvidia based graphics cards. I can run CMBO just fine under WinME and an ATI chipset. This is getting really aggravating. As per the norm, any and all help would be appreciated.

Well, I'm using an AMD Thunderbird, Win98SE, and a GeForce 2 Pro w/21.81 drivers and don't have any problems like this. Have you been repeatedly testing the same scenario/saved game? Perhaps there's a corrupted saved game or scenario file somewhere.

Don't know what else to tell ya. I'm sure if was a bug it would have been found a long time ago. Perhaps it's a video driver problem. Wouldn't be the first time. Is the game running correctly other than the timer? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

BeWary

Guest ckoharik

Nope, not trying a saved game. It's happened every single time on a number of scenarios and QBs. The reiterate the problem, I give orders, hit Go, and the moment I hit the FF button the timer jumps to some incredible number and starts to count backwards and the units that were moving are all over the place. If I hit pause and then use FF and REW the counter is fine until I hit play again. Starting from the beginning and watching the whole turn through without trying to control it works OK, but when there is nothing going on it is truly unbearable. My previous two systems have not had this problem nor have I ever see/heard about it. One system I could understand, but two seems odd. I do have one other system that I could try it on (P4-1500 w/ GeForce 2 MX card in it) that will be the true test.

BTS, fix it or sumfink! :D

Guest ckoharik

Interesting thing though is that it happened on both a desktop and laptop. I was going to install it on a third desktop to test but realized that one is running Win2K. I may try 2K on the laptop to see what happens.

I have a Dell 8100 laptop with the Geforce32Go graphics card and I have encountered the same "timer weirdness" as Panzer Boxb. It seemed to occur primarily with certain saved gam files but not with other scenarios. In addition I sometimes get another odd graphic glitch( I posted about this a while back) where the troops would be running very jerkily and all of their movements were too fast. No idea how to fix this but at least you know you are not alone.

Guest ckoharik

Well, ever since I reinstalled DirectX I have not encountered the timer issue on the laptop. I have to wait until later to test it on the desktop box though.

Until you mentioned it, I was totally oblivious to the issue regarding the animations for the troops. Now I see it plainly. Weird.

I have CM installed on my system at the barracks. Im running a athlon 1.2 with a geforce 2 gts pro and 512mb ram and win 98.

I have absolutely no problems with CM on this machine.

I installed CM on my girlfriends machine - a Dell pentium 4 1.4 with 128mb rdram and a geforce 2 mx.

The same problems with the timer occur on this machine and so do the problems with the animations of the troops. I have run the patches/fixes etc but to no avail. It doesnt happen on certain scenarios or saved games, it appears to be totally random, in fact on rare occassions there isnt a problem at all.

I believe, having read some of the other posts, it must be a problem with Dell machines. Its really annoying though, as the first few turns of a QB are often fast forwarded to get to the action. With this problem youve got to sit through the lot.

Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest ckoharik

Well, I was still having problems until I just upgraded the Nvidia GeForce GO driver to the latest from Dell's site (12/11/01 14.13.01.1660). So now the animations and the replay timer funkiness have ceased without the need to reinstall ME.

Guest ckoharik

Now, that is funky...I'll do a few more tests later today.

OK, started doing it again this morning. WTF?!?!?! Grrrrrrr. I do *not* want to reinstall ME.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Panzer Boxb ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Needshave:

I have this problem as well. It seems to go away after the computer has been on for an hour. Reboot and it comes back. I just got the latest video driver and BIOS updates from Dell. It didn't fix it.<hr></blockquote>

Yes. I am on a Dell Dimention 4300 with a Nvidia 32MB Geforce 2 and have had the same problems. After the game runs for about 20 mins, the problem magicly disappears.

I have both a Dell Laptop and a Dell desktop. The desktop has Win98 on it and a Geforce2 64mb card and has no problems. The laptop came with ME installed and I have had all of the related graphic and timer problems. I haven't yet reinstalled ME (mostly cuz I'm too cheap to buy a copy just yet) but nothing else has worked and I have tried everything. The desktop Dell works just great and both comps have the same amount of RAM.