Shermans/Panthers/Tigers....

JG53_Jaguar

Ok, I'm puzzled about something. I'm playing the the falaise pocket mission. I have 1 Tiger and Panther around the objective 1 ...ok a bit more south (there are other tanks around but for this example I could care less). Now Its the third wave of Shermans coming...they are not even on the scenario map and (I have already realoded this part for about 10 times and 10 times out of ten ) the first 10 shots from the Shermans will always nail the Tiger and Panther. First of all I have my units in position and facing head on the shermans...so when the enemy tanks appear they right away target my units - how exactly is this possible. And we are talking here M4A1 and M4A3 76mm. How can they so easily nail my tiger and panther (10 times reload of this part of the mission already). And none of my tiger and panther shots are penetrating any Shermans. I'm seeing shells bouncing off the front armour very easily. This doesn't seems right...the sherman always hit my tanks nothing ever bounces of my panther. I'm not buying these engagements. I have no problem SOME of the 76mm shermans getting my Tiger or my Panther...but MOST of them ALL THE TIME? What I also have problem with is the Tiger and Panther shell bouncing off the sherman armour! Yes I have tried using special ammo as well...

There is another thing...if I can see the shermans...and they can target my Tiger and Panther very easily...so I should be able to see them well as well. Yet when I try to give fire command to these two tanks of mine they always complain that they don't have a good LOS. Which is BS because the enemy icons are clearly visible...meaning they are not lighter colour.

I have the save game so anyone is interested I can happily provide the file... oh and I'm playing on medium difficulty. Both the Tiger and Panther crew is pretty good in terms of their experience.

[ April 29, 2007, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: JG53_Jaguar ]

Originally posted by JG53_Jaguar:

Ok, I'm puzzled about something. I'm playing the the falaise pocket mission. I have 1 Tiger and Panther around the objective 1 ...ok a bit more south (there are other tanks around but for this example I could care less). Now Its the third wave of Shermans coming...they are not even on the scenario map and (I have already realoded this part for about 10 times and 10 times out of ten ) the first 10 shots from the Shermans will always nail the Tiger and Panther. First of all I have my units in position and facing head on the shermans...so when the enemy tanks appear they right away target my units - how exactly is this possible. And we are talking here M4A1 and M4A3 76mm. How can they so easily nail my tiger and panther (10 times reload of this part of the mission already). And none of my tiger and panther shots are penetrating any Shermans. I'm seeing shells bouncing off the front armour very easily. This doesn't seems right...the sherman always hit my tanks nothing ever bounces of my panther. I'm not buying these engagements. I have no problem SOME of the 76mm shermans getting my Tiger or my Panther...but MOST of them ALL THE TIME? What I also have problem with is the Tiger and Panther shell bouncing off the sherman armour! Yes I have tried using special ammo as well...

There is another thing...if I can see the shermans...and they can target my Tiger and Panther very easily...so I should be able to see them well as well. Yet when I try to give fire command to these two tanks of mine they always complain that they don't have a good LOS. Which is BS because the enemy icons are clearly visible...meaning they are not lighter colour.

I have the save game so anyone is interested I can happily provide the file... oh and I'm playing on medium difficulty. Both the Tiger and Panther crew is pretty good in terms of their experience.

But stop complaining, yeah? The game's fun! And nobody said it was going to be another CM. And it's using some kind of sooper-dooper ray-tracing algorithm. And you haven't given it enough time.

God, all these people whining, expecting the Tiger to have superior armor, and an 88mm HV cannon capable of knocking-out Sherman tin boxes. Oh, I know, your Tiger and Panther were probably knocked out from the rear by tanks you hadn't noticed (coz there's nothing wrong with this game!).

Sorry, I was just trying to save the shills and fan-boys some time.

Jaguar I have to admit that your posts make me smile everytime and I really will miss something after you finished the game. :) Your series of posts regarding the missions (starting at Dunkirk) had always something ...refreshing.

Ja, about this mission I already posted, too. But I got luckier than you, I only lost the tanks six times. ;) And at the seventh try my Tiger alone knocked out 80% of the enemy tanks (on hard level). Luck? I wouldn`t say so. It`s the incredible in game calculations which made the realtime AI think: "If we let this guy lose his tanks one more time, he will turn away from me."

The same AI let my reinforcements survive after they had been shot to pieces 5 times before. :)

Due to this "unbalancy" of mission design I can only suggest what I suggested always: Quicksave.

And not every 10 minutes, soldier. After every knocked out enemy tank! ;) Dismissed.

Originally posted by BillyBob:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tripps:

You forgot to mention the transparant trees too smile.gif

Thankyou for reminding me (and everyone else). :D

You forgot the invisible bushes. ;) </font>

Originally posted by DeLaVega:

Jaguar I have to admit that your posts make me smile everytime and I really will miss something after you finished the game. :) Your series of posts regarding the missions (starting at Dunkirk) had always something ...refreshing.

Ja, about this mission I already posted, too. But I got luckier than you, I only lost the tanks six times. ;) And at the seventh try my Tiger alone knocked out 80% of the enemy tanks (on hard level). Luck? I wouldn`t say so. It`s the incredible in game calculations which made the realtime AI think: "If we let this guy lose his tanks one more time, he will turn away from me."

The same AI let my reinforcements survive after they had been shot to pieces 5 times before. :)

Due to this "unbalancy" of mission design I can only suggest what I suggested always: Quicksave.

And not every 10 minutes, soldier. After every knocked out enemy tank! ;) Dismissed.

Wow, I didn't know I was that entertaining. I certainly think the game has potential. I think the game looks to me like was designed to be a tank platoon combat game. Hopefully all the important issues will be resolved. I'm almost done with the german campaign. I beat the last mission in the demo and as a single player mission in the full game. I have to say I like the game...but sometimes it frustrates the hell out of me smile.gif

I hate doing the quick save thing, makes me feel soooooo cheap. Once I'm done with the campaign I'm gonna start working on my own...Stalingrad for example. I like reading you posts as well...I can always find something useful in them.

Somehow I thought Villers Bocage would be tough but it wasn't it was like taking candy from a baby. My tigers were performing as they should...don't get me wrong, I know tigers have their weaknesses just as any other tanks but I applied the proper tiger tactics and it paid off.

[ April 30, 2007, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: JG53_Jaguar ]

Jaguar, I also think using Quicksave has a bad taste... . But actually I think it depends on the game. In CM I never saved during a battle, in CC you couldn`t save (if I recall it right). It`s much more thrilling without saving. But for these missions in this game I would have thrown it away after a few tries. But, I have to admit, the tank shoot-outs are still fun in a weird kind of way. Sometimes I even reload after the tanks knocked each other out too fast making me missing the action. :)

Um, Villers-Bocage... almost the same story. On the german side it`s quite entertaining. Wait until you play the same mission on the allied side. I only won with luck. And literally quick saved after every knocked out Tiger. Yet I lost almost all own tanks. I read a few posts and some were really lucky, didn`t lose any tank at all. ...and I was close to losing my mind.