Demo, assault tutorial... tanks only?

Tontoman

Searched around already and didn't see anything on this, did see the LOS stuff so was ready for that ;) . But not this...

In the tutorial on assaults (last trench), it says flank with the tanks and assault one flank with your inf. Be careful as now the enemy will be more active and counter attack any trench you take.

Who are they kidding, I can't get my inf anywhere close to the trenches let alone assault them. It's always tanks flank, tanks kill everything, inf advances and takes empty trenches. Even the second trench was basically like this. In the first trench I almost got in, but really the last trench defender died from tank support fire just as my SMGs got in. Not enough suppression to keep heads down and have my inf get close enough to assault, too much killing instead so trench gets cleaned out without assaulting.

What am I missing here. Bad tutorial? Written before some late game tweaks were done to break the tutorial (make it incorrect). Bad demo? The full game plays differently?

Help, and thanks.

Tonto.

heh. I have the full game but did try that tutorial. Same result. Trenches were cleaned out before the inf got there. If you rush the inf before getting tanks in position then they just die.

I dunno if thats wrong because tanks will kill inf,especially from the flank.

I was suprise too about this, I would have expected to lose my tanks advancing them without infantry.

Why does infantry seem so weak?

Look at it this way 11 soldiers vs 3 tanks, the tanks are going to win. In the CM games, infantry is normally company size 30-40 men, plus anti-tank,and MG squads,in TOW an infantry unit is 10 men + leader. In CM the infantry leader unit is 3 or 4 men, in TOW is 1 guy with a pistol. In TOW an anti-tank unit is 1 guy with a ATR or Bazoka, in CM is two or three men. So in a typical CM battle 3 tanks vs. 1 infantry company you are going against 4X or 5X times as many men, weapons, and firepower the infantry normally win.

Yeah, thought about the numbers (didn't want to get into a CM VS ToW thing ;) ) but at least in CM you could hide them. I guess the LOS issues is going to pop up now. CM you could bury them in cover and the tank didn't want to get close due to Pfaust and such.

It also still doesn't cover the suppression/assault issue. Even with the excessive firepower from your tanks (# of enemy VS # of tanks) in the tutorial and maybe LOS issues, you can't suppress the trench enough to get your inf close to assault? Or another way, if I had the correct balance of tanks (or inf for them) so my tanks couldn't kill them all, how would you have a chance of winning the map if you couldn't come close when you had too many tanks?

Might play around with it some more but not impressed to start. The combat engine that is, grapics and stuff look sweet. This is were I'd like to save a movie and then replay it locked onto different units views.

T.

I don't disagree there are issues, with LOS and cover. In CM you would supress the enemy in the trenches with MG fire and mortars with smoke, to cover your advance.

I'm just stating infantry seem so weak because there are so few of them compaired to CM. In CM a anti-tank team as two men, if one get's killed it still has the same firepower and can still fire, in TOW a anti-tank crew is one man if he is killed that's it. A two man team will last twice as long as a one man team.

I think mortars and smoke would go a long way in TOW!.