System Stutter ??

foamy

What happened - my message got posted while I was still writing it ?

So to continue, This "Stuttering" has just started to happen after months of trouble free game play, I have not added any mods, but did download some scenarios (Not yet played).

I run Win98 on an Athlon 1.1Mhz and nVidia G force Ti4200

Sound is on-board my K7S5A motherboard.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Do you know what is running in the background when you play CM ? Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and see what programs are listed. Generally you should only want 'Explorer' and 'Systray' loaded up. Almost everything else is optional, including anti-virus utilities, printer drivers (a lot of newer printers now running programs in the background) and other utilities. Certain program elements and drivers won't show up in this list, yet they can still be culprits.

Have you updated any of your drivers lately ? Are you using any newer hardware, including USB devices ? Maybe a newer driver is causing a problem with your system (at least the stuttering). How often does the stuttering occur ?

Assuming you've been using the computer for awhile you may want to reboot before playing CM. This may help to 'clear out' the memory to a certain extent. I'd also suggest closing down anything that is running in the background to prevent anything from interfering.

Thanks for the quick response and helpfull advise.

1) Using Ctrl-Alt-Del I shutdown all non-essential progs. (Actually there was nothing additional running that I have not had running for months anyway). This did not fix it.

2) I have not updated any drivers, because everything was running just fine.

3) Stuttering occurs about once every two or three minutes, even if I am not using mouse etc.

4) I do re-boot every day and load up CM every day.

5) I did download a POP-UP Killer prog. from the web and also Window Washer. This does coincide with the start of the problem (I think).

They are not in my start folder, I have to manually start them, BUT could they be "Active" somewhere in the background ?? if so how do I find out and get rid of them.

You would probably have to browse through your registry to find any other programs or VXDs that may be loading up.

The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/RUN and other RUN related entries may be loading up a program that doesn't appear in your Start Up folder. An easier way to do this is to run MSCONFIG from the Run dialog. In here you can browse your registry and other startup files for entries. As for VXDs, that gets a bit harder to deal with and typically involves uninstalling software.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mr.Schrullenhaft - my computer stuttering has come back worse than ever, - the computer twice froze solid today (It is just 9F outside, but I am sure this has nothing to do with it ?).

Win 98 SE, 1.1 Ghz Athlon, 256 Mb RAM, NVidia Gforce 4.2. No harware changes made for a very long time. MAchine is shut off and re-booted often.

I am quite sure no background progs are running, could a harware fault such as overheating CPU or bad memory, or bad connectors show these symptoms of computer stutter ??

I originally thought it was just when playing CM, but now I notice that the mouse arrow sometimes appears jerky even when not playing CM.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

if this were just about in game hesitation i'd say you still need to look into what's going on in the background

to make sure you don't have any spyware dropped on your system i'd suggest grabbing a free copy of zonealarm and installing it - it will show you all the programs attempting to communicate in and out of your system - what you would be looking for in particular would be any prog you don't recognize attempting to broadast out

that being said, your latest symptoms of freezing up solid starts to suggest possible hardware conflicts - have you loaded anything new hardware wise on the system that might create IRQ conflicts?

oh, and this one may sound rather mundane, but have you defragged your drive lately? smile.gif

Solved the stutter problem, maybe this will be of help to others.

My mouse went bad !!!

One of my computer savy PBEM contacts suggested I try another mouse, seemed like a simple thing to do so I did and it worked perfectly.

I stripped my original mouse right down to it's bare bones and cleaned everything, still gave problems, I assumed an electrical or wire problem.

So I rushed out and bought a mid-price logitec and since then everything has been fine.