Camera controls on the laptop: advice?

Sivodsi

Hi there, just coming to terms with this game, and trying to get the camera working satisfactorily.

Using the mouse is ok, but as long as moving the key to the left and right is simply 'strafe' left & right it will be limited. Ideally (for me anyway) it would be 'rotate' in the upper half, and 'strafe' in the lower half. Any chance of this happening in a patch?

With the laptop not having a number keyboard, in my current setup I use the arrow keys, pgup and pgdn for elevation, and p l ; ' for rotate up, left, down and right respectively. This makes for cumbersome movement as I frequently move my fingers from the arrows to the rotote keys. Theres gotta be better ways of doing it than this!

Who out there has a setup they are entirely satisfied with, and how do you do it? What about those with notebooks, do you have a better way of doing it than me?

Looking forward to finding out!

Thanks for the advice, but I do have a mouse (as might be guessed from my 2nd sentence). My frustration is that with the mouse you can only go straight back and forth + side to side. Rotate and elevation are just as important, and to get these I have to go back to the keyboard.

But your comments have given me an idea. If I set the arrow keys to do the rotating, amd use the mouse to move straight and the scroll for elevation it might be an improvement. I'll give it a go.

Cant you use the mousewheel to raise and lower elevation?
- that's what I meant by 'scroll', excuse my lack of precision with language.

push the middle mouse button down to turn
Turn 180 degrees? Didn't realise there was such a command. Good idea - I'll look for it.

My new setup works much better.

One thing, in the controls it has a setting for 'mouse zoom': from the manual this means the sensitivity of the mouse wheel, which is used to control elevation. It seems that you cannot change the assignation of mousewheel to elevation? It would be good if the mousewheel was in actual fact 'zoom in' on what ever you are looking at.

At least I've now got satisfactory control of camera.

Edit to add: can't find a 180 degree turn control, so not sure how you would use the middle button to turn. I'd like to know what you mean, Wolfseven.

I think I'll try using the middle mouse to jump to the location of the last message. See how that goes.

[ April 21, 2007, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Sivodsi ]

I finally figured out the middle mouse free camera technique.

For me, it made camera control much more intuitive. I push forward & back to control the camera with the middle mouse to control rotation. It may help to crank the sensitivity of your mouse (it is RTS after all smile.gif )

I find I can get down to the micro-views for control and eye candy quicker.

Originally posted by boomerFranck:

I finally figured out the middle mouse free camera technique.

For me, it made camera control much more intuitive. I push forward & back to control the camera with the middle mouse to control rotation. It may help to crank the sensitivity of your mouse (it is RTS after all smile.gif )

I find I can get down to the micro-views for control and eye candy quicker.

that is some key news for me! thanks! so, middle mouse button it is then. I was really trying to re-create the camera movement and "controlability" from the CMBB/AK games. I thought that was best.

wOOt!

so, just to be precise, while pressing (and holding?) the middle mouse button (the wheel in my case), I can rotate the camera "in place" like in CMBB?

Thanks in advance.