Dunkirk

JG53_Jaguar

I'm playing campaign as German. I had no problem in Poland but in Dunkirk those 75mm guns are killing my panzers. The enemy guns are all over the place and doing gun duels with them always ends up bad for me. My force: 2 Mark IVCs, 1 Mark IIIF and one T-35. This means I only have 3 infantry teams. I can't seems to be able to pass this mission. I tried front careful assault, I tried flanks...nothing... those damn guns are everyone 2 - 4 shots max and my tank is toast. I had a tank sitting far away on side of the map and an enemy gun in the objective 1 and the gun has no problem engaging my tanks yet I can't see the gun. I suppose this is because of my tank crew not being experienced enough ? The map is too small already so I don't have much room to maneuver around. The enemy AI is pretty tough and mine doesn't seem that good. What I don't understand why are my tanks chopping wood everywhere and not driving around the trees ?

Peter

What's your force composition ?

The problem is also I don't have enough artillery support.

I find that even though the map is big...I'm fighting on such a small little area. There isn't really much I can change from tactical perspective. Not enough room for me to do my own planning.

Yeah I'm gonna try using the infantry as well...armour just doesn't work here. They are too close to the guns...easy kills.

Jaguar I used almost the same units like you. Left the men behind, only took one, proned to the front and used him as a scout. I took the right road, attacked the AT-Guns at the settlement first. After they were gone I took the ones with the tanks in the middle of the map. Because of the scout I saw their facing direction and rushed them over from the right.

You also can use the quicksave and -load feature, if you got stuck there.

Many missions are nearly impossible and i told that many times but noone seemed to care;)

I don't think that attacking enemy which is entrenched and have both numerical superiority and more armored tanks is just masochism.

Nearly all missions where you must attack something dont make any sense.

Jaguar:

But since such things like reinforcements are scripted, it`s more like a FPS, don`t you think?

Many things in this game you find out by trial and error. In a later mission you have to take one train station and afterwards defend it. But the enemy attacked almost directly after I took the station, so no time to prepare. Then planes strafed my tanks 4-5 times. Only with luck my elite tanks survived more or less. If I imagine that I would have repeated the whole map (which is quite difficult, cause it`s first time of the ZiS 3 AT gun and this kills the PzIV easily from far away) I would have started another campaign. After I played all the campaigns I restart without saving.

Sneaksie:

What I dislike is that in the german campaign most missions are attacking a trenched position. This gets boring after a while. Not to mention that there were not soooo many entrenched positions everywhere. :)

DeLaVega, don't worry, while there are a good number of trenches I think the major reason you are seeing so much of them is that the Germans are the attackers in most early war scenarios. Later on... :eek:

Oh, and for those finding it too difficult:

You have the game for a day or two at most. If you had mastered ToW already, it wouldn't be much of a game, would it? ;)

Yeah its maddening, but my advice, skip the German Campaign cause after the French Campaign its you trying to beat T-34s with panzer 3Fs and 4Cs.

As for this map, I got lucky when one of my arty stikes killed the 75mm behind the town. Then I had two of my 38ts go up the very right side of the map since their 50mm frontal armor could take the 75mm hits, and draw fire, while my three squads and two panzer 4s went up the middle and assaulted the ATGs. DO NOT ORDER YOUR TROOPS TO ARRACK THE ATGS, just have them storm forward (S key) and they will kill the troops. Then I had two of the 75mms taken by my troops and sent the rest forward whith the 2x 75mms and the 2x4Cs tackle both the enemy tanks and troops in the treches, pushed forward hard and won.

Dunkirk is rather hard mission indeed.

My advises to you. First of all look closely on the landscape. Try to outflank from the left. Use artillery on the 1-st 3 guns. I assure u, u can take out 2 of them. Then from different sides, very slowly roll over the hill. Find the position when your tanks have clear LOS to fire, but those guns near the village haven’t. It’s quite easy when u look closely on the landscape (as I’ve told already). Also don’t try to outflank from the right. Use "Area fire" when u already know where guns are. U can also use "area fire" on trenches.

Won that mission lots of times on hardest level. It wasn't easy thought...

I finally got through

two T38 on the right took out the first two light tanks. Then infantry in prone launched attack on the three guns with tanks supporting from multiple directions, took out all of them, but very very costly, and luckly, reinforcement arrived. gathered up all six tanks, killed the two tanks on the left first, then roll to the top of hill, get a good firing position behind interseciton of three columns of trees. Concentrate fires to kill the tanks acroos the river first, meanwhile using artilery to take out the rest of the field guns. After than, infantry in tranches are indeed targets for my tank machine guns.

Thanks Elmar, this gives me a little hope. :) In the moment I`m in the Citadel mission. And there has to be trenches. :)

Although the game crashed badly (again and again) and I couldn`t even reload my savegame. Hope this happens only in this map.

i attacked through the middle with a timed attack and rush

i went with the stock forces but i chose the crews wisely.used the best driver and gunners etc

3 platoons stormed the center guns as the panzers came over the top of the hill,heading for the bridge trigger point,arty,ied the town at the same time

captured and used the 3 guns in the center and turned them on the enemy,i lost most of my casualities manning and remanning the captured guns

once i secured the bridge it was a matter of time,,the reinforcements arrived and rushed to the center bridge,whilst the truck carrying troops and AT guns floundered trying to cross their own bridge,,took 10 minutes of clicking get the stupid mugs to get across the bridge,anyway once i got them to the village the remaining char b and 1 somua tank,bugged out

dunkirk-small_125.jpg

Originally posted by Lord_Simmox:

i attacked through the middle with a timed attack and rush

i went with the stock forces but i chose the crews wisely.used the best driver and gunners etc

3 platoons stormed the center guns as the panzers came over the top of the hill,heading for the bridge trigger point,arty,ied the town at the same time

captured and used the 3 guns in the center and turned them on the enemy,i lost most of my casualities manning and remanning the captured guns

once i secured the bridge it was a matter of time,,the reinforcements arrived and rushed to the center bridge,whilst the truck carrying troops and AT guns floundered trying to cross their own bridge,,took 10 minutes of clicking get the stupid mugs to get across the bridge,anyway once i got them to the village the remaining char b and 1 somua tank,bugged out

I did the same thing. Assaulting the guns with one squad each and turning them around worked perfectly for me.

Hi

remember it's a scrited game, you have to reach a point on the battle field for a trigger to respone

can the people who have completed the dunkirk battle give details of or if any reserves appeared

path taken etc it could help

i like to find the scrited path and then play with a different force, ie play with 4 tanks then 3 and so on, makes the game more interesting.

although the first battle is always the best.

Good Hunting